More moving to Cambridge

(73 Posts)
BoredCommuter Wed 18-Apr-12 19:12:24

Sorry, yet another topic on this. It looks like DH might be offered a job in Cambridge (north side of the centre). From I thread below I've gathered the following.

Avoid: Haverhill, March, Chatteris
Good/Ok areas: Ely, Bury, Cottenham. Soham, Newmarket, Burwell, Thrapston, Oundle, Linton, Milton, Histon, Waterbeach, Bury St.Edmunds.

We've got a three yr old, so primary schools will be important, any other tips? We quite fancy a village or small town around Cambridge, budget probably around £400k for a 4 bed.

How easy is it to make friends in Cambridge? We don't really know anyone there?

At the moment I work full time, I'll probably end up looking for another full time or almost full time job, how easy is it to find childminders or after school clubs if we need them?

Thanks
BC

Snog Sat 14-Jul-12 21:19:52

Histon great choice imo

An0therName Sat 14-Jul-12 22:46:38

thats the choice - bigger house and long commute - - I would consider Willingham - but not the others they def seem more in the fenland and a bit further - although there is a the northstowe issue with Willingham I imagine - see longstanton thread
to science park driving from willingham at peak times has to be 40 mins I would have thought - that said if you lived the other side of histon it would take a while - although lots of people would get guided bus or cycle from there

lakeofshiningwaters Mon 16-Jul-12 17:43:35

What about the villages near to St Ives ie Fenstanton, the Hemingfords? I've friends who commute to the Science Park from there and have no problems (except for the odd day or two). I used to commute to the centre of Peterborough from about there and it was not a bad journey (especially the 4 lane bit of the A1 where you can really put your foot down grin.

Biscuitsneeded Fri 27-Jul-12 20:49:45

Personally I think Histon, Impington, Cottenham. I don't like Milton because of the smell of sewage (sorry if I offend any residents but I think the poster needs to know about this!) - good primary, though. If you are going to work in Peterborough and use the train then I would try to live nearer the station though, as parking at the station is a nightmare so better to walk or cycle.

helenlynn Fri 27-Jul-12 23:39:40

I don't know if this is of any interest whatsover, but the guided bus route has recently been extended to Peterborough (see thebusway.info/servicedetails.aspx?update=145 - I don't think there are plans to extend the guideway, they've just added a chunk of off-guideway route). From a quick squizz at the timetable it looks as though it takes an hour and a half from Histon & Impington which is probably similar to how long it would take to get a bus to the station and do the 50-minute train journey, but might make an easier commute. But then I don't know what the guided bus is like past Histon; I'm sure someone here will though.

calendula Wed 08-Aug-12 15:18:51

Private swimming lessons.

Planning ahead. I will be in CB staying in Newnham 6 Oct - 13 Oct with DD12 and DS9

We live abroad and the swimming tuition here is abysmal. I would like to find a swimming instructor who could give the kids intensive swimming lessons for the week we are over. Daytime/evening. Would be able to travel to pools in the villages.

Any suggestions?

calendula Wed 08-Aug-12 15:19:30

Sorry, posted in wrong place!

BoredCommuter Mon 20-Aug-12 18:16:28

Well, things are progressing slowly. DH is now working in Cambridge and living there in the week. We are still really struggling to find somewhere to live, there is just so little on the market and ideally DD and I are going to move up last weekend of September. DH has now ruled out Milton, he has smelt the smell mentioned, so thanks for the tip off.
I'm desperately applying for jobs, fingers crossed

TheFowlAndThePussycat Mon 20-Aug-12 18:25:54

Have you looked at Swavesey? Excellent schools (primary & secondary) fits into the 20 min commute belt on a good day! Lovely community, old characterful & boxy new houses grin. Shop, post office, farms, lawn mower repair centre. What more could you ask for?

Have you guessed where I live yet?

An0therName Mon 20-Aug-12 20:55:10

have to say I have lived in milton for 15 months and smelt the smell maybe once - used to be an issue a few years ago but not now

BoredCommuter Tue 28-Aug-12 20:31:08

Well, I now hate letting agents, but it looks like we do have a house. We'll be in Histon. Just need to find a job, that's going slowly.

And slightly desperate, but please be my friend smile it's a bit daunting moving somewhere where we don't know anyone

An0therName Wed 29-Aug-12 20:05:12

honestly there are so many people coming and going in cambridge area that its my experience its pretty easy to meet people

Biscuitsneeded Thu 30-Aug-12 22:43:37

I think if you live in Milton you probably get used to the smell and therefore don't notice it! I live in Cambridge, but often go to Milton Tesco or to the Country Park, and depending on which way the wind is blowing the smell is VERY noticeable.

Anyway OP has plumped for Histon (good decision) so the above is irrelevant. But I'm sure you won't be lonely in Histon. People rate the pre-school and infant/junior schools highly and you will meet lots of other parents if you get involved. Also try Sarah Allen's toddler swimming at Impington pool - always a friendly experience (I took my kids to her classes at Chesterton pool but am sure the same friendly atmosphere prevails in Impington - look up bumpercise and aquatots for more info). Good luck!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 02-Sep-12 08:21:03

Histon is lovely, the Pre-school is excellent - my daughters have just attended a holiday scheme there and I was bowled over! I would very much second the Sarah Allen recommendation, she is great. Cambridge is a lovely place, you'll be fine!

LizziePizzie Mon 03-Sep-12 13:20:56

How old are your LO (Not read whole post). i can recommend some good groups...

OomVoomCambridge Mon 19-Nov-12 10:20:56

Hi folks, this is a great thread. Moving to Cambridge next summer with 2 kids in primary school, mainly to escape big city life. Quality of schoools is very important to us.

I will be commuting to King's Cross. We'd like somewhere near to the station and relatively near town centre, but would deffo consider villages, which sound lovely from all the posts. Schools are the main priority so if schools in areas around the station aren't so nice we'll probably skip it and go to the villages.

Could anyone recommend areas relatively near the station around 350-400k? Or would we be better off looking at the villages for that budget?

mynameisnt Mon 19-Nov-12 10:31:35

You should be ok with that kind of budget around Cheery Hinton Road area, which is fairly near the station. two minutes away from the stationfairly near too - Mill Road, v trendy!Or the southern villages, like Shelford, Sawston, maybe Linton.

OomVoomCambridge Mon 19-Nov-12 10:35:16

thanks!!! this is a great starting point. cheers!

mynameisnt Mon 19-Nov-12 10:41:27

The schools around the station area are all ok - Morley Memorial is where my youngest children go, St Pauls is where my eldest went. There's also Queen Ediths Queen Emma (no personal experience but know people with children there). Pretty much most of the schools in cambridge are fine! Secondary in this area, you have Parkside and Coleridge (Federation academies two schools now one), St Bede's (church school and selective religion wise)

FrauB Thu 25-Apr-13 03:10:56

Don't know whether the OP is still reading this, but here goes... I know the area well. Personally, I love Cambridge, but I wouldn't live there unless I had megabucks to spend on property (which I don't). Most of the schools, except the indies and Parkside, are rubbish. Impington VC is supposed to be good, but in my experience, is still trading on an outdated reputation and is much over-rated these days.

Personally, I'd go for somewhere west of Cambridge on one of the bus routes, like Comberton, Toft or the Eversdens. Comberton VC really is excellent, although you probably need to check the new catchment areas when the new school in Cambourne is opened. The countryside is lovely and you'd easily get a 4 bed for £400k.

prsnbx Thu 25-Apr-13 09:50:44

"Most of the schools, except the indies and Parkside, are rubbish. Impington VC is supposed to be good, but in my experience, is still trading on an outdated reputation and is much over-rated these days."

These are bold claims. What is your experience, I wonder?

mynameisnt Fri 26-Apr-13 18:47:59

someone who sends their children to an indie maybe? I have to admit I am disgusted at Coleridge's recent Ofsted though. Too much, as was said, relying on the name 'Parkside' to swan it through. No interest in anyone who isn't 'average' (either above or below) marking of homework not even attempted most of the time ( I thought DS was fibbing, but it seems to be true) and little concern for SEN. Shame, I sent ds there honestly believing it's spin sad

orchardy Sun 28-Apr-13 20:17:55

I don't think 'most of the schools' are rubbish. Chesterton is good, definitely, as is Impington, as is St Bede's (and the aforementioned Parkside). And I don't think there are any REALLY bad primaries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now