Swimming lessons in Cambridge and pool facilities in general. Where to go?

(14 Posts)
Lovefruitsandvegs Sat 08-Oct-11 20:38:01

Currently we are with Parkside Pools in the city centre but would like to try the Abbey Pool. The online reviews for the Parkside pools are not good.
There is also Greens which is in the Beehive Centre (could not find their fees). Has anyone tried the Greens or the Abbey Pool?
Thank you!

Lovefruitsandvegs Sat 08-Oct-11 20:38:45

I forgotten to add that we need swimming lessons for children.

An0therName Sat 08-Oct-11 20:58:19

some friends of mine use abbey for lessons and say its good - its a bit out of town but impington village college also do lessons - and they are good too

conkerchops Sun 09-Oct-11 09:30:07

go to http://www.bumperciseandaquatots.co.uk/ if your child is of pre school age these are the most fantastic lessons!.....she does most of them at chesterton sports centre who then run brilliant swimming courses for children once they are able to swim independently.

Lovefruitsandvegs Mon 10-Oct-11 10:50:55

Thank you! I have heard that Abbey is slightly primitive and there is no separate pool for the kids unlike Parkside.
I have checked Chesterton Sports Centre. Looks very nice. I guess the parking could be a problem.

neolara Mon 10-Oct-11 23:57:40

For swimming lessons I would recommend Seals Swimming for kids who are 3 1/2 year and older.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 11-Oct-11 00:01:16

My ds1 went to Seals for a couple of crash courses when he was 4 - very good.

Since then mine have done lessons at Bottisham (out of Cambridge, but depends where you live) pool and changing facilities are basic and teaching depends on individual instructors (so I now wait until the 1st week and go and go through the class lists asking who for specific instructors).

MiddleOfTheStreet Tue 11-Oct-11 20:35:31

mine go to sawston. ds2 is just starting to swim without the aid of a woggle (is that what they're called confused) and ds1 is quite advanced (learning to dive in). they have the same instructor who is great! (his name is robin).

AuntieBulgaria Tue 11-Oct-11 22:11:15

There is a separate pool for learners at Abbey.

We were on the waiting list for Impington for quite a few months but they could only offer a mid-week lesson.

Chesterton is quite a deep pool - up to you whether you would prefer DC to be able to touch the bottom or not, and IMO colder then the others. I have heard good things about the lessons there though.

In the end we went for lessons at Kings Hedges Learners' Pool that have been very reasonably priced and with low numbers.

The Abbey, Parkside, Kings Hedges and Cherry Hinton are all managed by the same company - Everyone Active.

Because DD enjoys swimming so much, I downloaded the csv files for the swimming timetables from the everyone active website and put them into a spreadsheet if anyone wants a copy...

BirdFromDaNorf Wed 12-Oct-11 20:43:28

We love Water Babies swimming lessons - we have them in private pools, that are lovely and warm and clean and have nice parking. They are lush. We've been swimming with Debi and Lisa at Water Babies for a couple of years and they've been brilliant for us.

I think it's www.waterbabies.co.uk/local/cambridge for your local info.

We've tried Birthlight in Cambridge, they were good but lessons got cancelled sometimes which was annoying.

DaisySteiner Wed 12-Oct-11 20:48:23

Would also recommend Seals swimming lessons. Mine have made phenomenal progress since starting (one went from being a non-swimmer to level 5 in less than a year)

fluffywhitekittens Wed 12-Oct-11 20:52:50

I have worked at the Abbey and for Seals swimming (a while ago though ) would totally recommend Seals. My dd made brilliant progress on a crash course this year and I just wish we lived near enough that she could have weekly lessons.

Watermum Thu 13-Oct-11 09:34:42

HI 'Lovesfruitandvegs', How old are your little ones? If they are under the age of 4 give us a call on 01933 651790 and come for a free taster of our Water Babies classes currently taking place all over Cambridge. World class instructors, in fun pack, structured and progressive lessons. Teaching you how to teach your little one to swim. If they are 4 or older try Elite swimming academy on 01223 633699 they are fantastic too. Let us know how you get on in your search. Warmest regards Debi @ Water Babies

cazzybabs Thu 13-Oct-11 20:53:32

Our girls swam with Seals for years and now swim at the Leys (which is deep and cold but long smile ).. dd4 currently swims with birthlights and loves it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now