Queen Emma Primary

(13 Posts)
silvestro Tue 20-Sep-11 21:59:36

I've posted before as we are moving to Cambridge in a few weeks and my 4 yr old DS will be starting school. I don't have an address yet so have not applied to the local authority for a school place. However, I am told the most likely school with places will be Queen Emma which opened this year.
Does anyone have any experience with Queen Emma who could give me some feedback. Also, where is it?? It hasn't shown up on the map!
Thanks

Lancelottie Wed 21-Sep-11 10:21:34

Here you go for some updates on the building (not that that helps you know what the school itself will be like). Looks like it's just off the A1134 in the Cherry Hinton area.

Good luck!

umf Wed 21-Sep-11 11:47:58

A friend's child has started there. Early days, but pleased so far. The "mother" school, Queen Edith's, has a very good reputation. On info so far I would be happy to have a place there - and I'm a big fusspot about schools! If you're looking for accomodation, the area is nice too. Cherry Hinton Hall park is good.

An0therName Thu 22-Sep-11 10:26:36

have you rang the local authority and asked which schools have places - thats what I did before I found a house

silvestro Fri 23-Sep-11 12:10:17

The local authority won't tell me what schools have places but the headmaster of another school told me most likely there would be places there.
Thanks!

An0therName Fri 23-Sep-11 19:06:35

what find out the names of the schools where I wanted to live and then ring and say does x school have places at the moment, does y school - I think I asked about 10 schools in the end - they also told me how long the waiting lists were as well

silvestro Sun 25-Sep-11 16:18:18

Thanks AnOtherName
I got the impression from the headmaster that there really wouldn't be any free places in any city school ( but that Queen Emma most likely)
Could this really be true? No places at all.
If for example the school that was allocated was too far from where we'll be living ( and I suspect QE will be) what could I do then?
Thanks

An0therName Mon 26-Sep-11 13:09:00

the city schools are v full I think -have you found somewhere to live?
Cherry Hinton is a little way out - other places which might but you would have to check have places are Milton (the village not Milton Rd) and Waterbeach - these are out of town but nice places to live- and easey to get into town - and Milton in paticular has quite a lot of rental - the villages to the south also might have places but I don't know about them
Standard "mumsnet" is to acept a place - and I think but again you would would have to check they have to provide transport if its over a certain distance - then you go on waiting list for a nearer school
but really you need to ring and say is such and such school have places, how long is the waiting list - and go through them all

silvestro Mon 26-Sep-11 15:23:43

Thanks.
Yes, we will be living in Newnham very close to Newnham Croft school but I know Newnham Croft is generally oversubscribed so don't hold out much hope there.

cakeaddict Mon 26-Sep-11 17:48:38

I know St Matthew's had places left earlier in the year, after the first round of allocations had been made (because it had just increased in size to become 3 form entry) - I don't know if that's still the case but it might be one to try.

MrsPlesWearsAFez Fri 30-Sep-11 21:07:21

Once you have an address I'm sure the LA will give you some more information.

My dd has just started at the sister school to Queen Emma and I'm very impressed so far (the two are run as part of a federation).. QE was one of our choices and I would have been happy for her to have gone there.

The schools in the city tend to be very oversubscribed, so the likelihood is that you'll not have a great deal of choice.

An0therName Sat 01-Oct-11 22:08:33

just to say the LA gave me the info before I moved - and actually it was one the factors in where we moved to

silvestro Wed 05-Oct-11 14:29:47

I've gotten some information from the LA today. The schools with reception places are The Grove Primary, Queen Emma, Cherry Hinton Junior School and Colville.
All quite a distance from our new house. I am awaiting the exchange of contracts on our house so can't put in the application yet.
These are all greater than 2 miles from where we'll be living so would be be entitled to bus transportation??? How does that work? Is is safe for a 4 year old?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now