Cambridge Family Mediation Service

(5 Posts)
hotelindia Fri 12-Aug-11 11:54:13

Hi there. I'm in a same-sex civil partnership and we're splitting up. Solicitor says we need to go to mediation first. Anyone with any comments/experience on the above? I'm wondering whether we need to engage a mediator from a legal practice instead.

cbmum Fri 12-Aug-11 20:47:32

CFMS are ok but I would suggest you also consider contacting Gail Marchant-Daisley at CFLP or Roger Gurney at Mills & Reeve. Both are solicitors but also mediators. Talk to them both then decide who is the best fit for you.

hotelindia Fri 12-Aug-11 21:44:08

Thanks cbmum. Have you tried all three then? When you say that CFMS are OK, what doesn't make them great, iykwim?

cbmum Sun 14-Aug-11 20:33:12

Sorry, my previous post was a bit rushed. Yes I know of all 3 but from a professional perspective in that I'm usually doing the referral. For mediation to work well it is important to find the mediator that best gels with you. A bit like finding the right hairdresser for you only rather more important in this case!

My suggestion would be to avoid the courts at all cost as you won't get the solution that you want, rather one that is determined by others. The advantage of mediation is that you and your now ex partner are involved at all stages.

Gail is a well known for her knowledge of same sex relationships which is why her name sprang to mind. Roger is calm and I don't know of many people who find him difficult to deal with which is why he is an alternative. That said, you may find that the mediators at CFMS fit you best. They are the most well known in Cambridge and have been around the longest with a long track record of mediation.

Do a bit of research. Speak to all 3, and then use the mediator you think is best for you.

hotelindia Wed 17-Aug-11 23:01:24

Thanks cbmum. Very helpful indeed.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now