PAEDIATRIC FIRST AID COURSE- cambridge area

(12 Posts)
Helss Tue 26-Jul-11 20:48:36

Hi all! I am pregnant and have a past full of near misses acccident wise! I would very much like to attend a really good course on children and baby first aid. Does anyone know if there are any such classes being run in the Cambridge (South)/ Essex areas? Thanks

zoley Tue 26-Jul-11 23:02:11

St John's Ambulance run them, www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses/course-search.aspx enter your postcode on there and you'll get details of the nearest ones to you. I went on a baby lifesaving one when pregnant 4 years ago, it ran for a whole day on a Saturday and was really useful.

PJFanClub Wed 27-Jul-11 00:39:32

I also did the St John's Ambulance one and it was very good.

From time to time NCT, SureStart Children's centres and some of the playgroups also run First Aid Courses.

Masflaka Wed 27-Jul-11 09:15:51

We live in Central Cambridge and I've attended one covering the basics run by the health visitors and covering several surgeries. DH has attended one in the local SureStart Centre aimed at dads (run by St John's) and I have a couple of friends who've attended the St John's ambulance ones. All very good; main difference is that the first two were free of charge. Definitely recommend doing as it gives you huge peace of mind!! smile

Helss Wed 27-Jul-11 13:06:02

I don't really mind how much it costs to be honest.....It's very worth it!! I spend a lot of time with children, so I think I will go for one that covers babies and children. Thanks all for your help....I will have a look at what you have suggested. love this Mumsnet!!

Dee0109 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:29:44

Hello Helss,

as you say - accidents do happen and as a parent you can never be too careful!

There is a paediatric first aid course on the 17th and 18th September run at the Swifts in Fulbourn. It is OFSTED approved so also great for individuals working in childcare, but also for any parent!

It is £95 including light lunch and refreshements.

Not sure if I can post the contact number here (?) but please let me know if you are interested and I can pass your details in the right direction.

Hope you are enjoying your pregnancy. Good luck!

Dee0109 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:34:49

Have a look at the face book page: Gingham Kids Nanny Agency

Helss Wed 27-Jul-11 13:56:24

Wow thanks,that sounds very good value, the St Johns one is £114 excluding lunch.....I will contact you when I have a look at the Gingham Kids. Nice and close for me too.....xx

Helss Thu 04-Aug-11 10:29:36

I have booked onto the Gingham Kids Nanny Agency Paediatric First Aid Course. Really looking forward to being prepared for my baby!

PlatinumJo Wed 10-Aug-11 12:14:25

Good morning,
Just saw this thread and thought I'd mention that I work for an HSE accredited First Aid and Clinical training company and we regularly run open courses in Cambridge - www.norvictraining.co.uk - we can beat most competitors prices and offer top quality training. Also we are currently looking at whether there would be any interest in us running a free session in Awareness of First Aid for New Parents at locations across the East of England. We'd love to help our local community and have lots of expert knowledge to share. Any thoughts on this? If anyone thinks they know a few people in their area that would appreciate a free session then do let me know.

MAGS46 Wed 05-Oct-11 19:04:12

Redcross run a first aid for baby and child course is perfect for parents, expectant parents, grandparents, babysitters, foster parents and carers of babies and young children.

I believe it only about £40 you can also purchase a gift card for the course and give it to friends and family(baby sitters in training) so they can book at a time convenient for them evenings or day time .

First aid for baby and child is designed to teach you a range of first aid skills to cope with emergency situations for babies and children 0-5 years. With lots of practical exercises to give you confidence in dealing with a real life emergency.

The trainer makes the course interesting and your not made to feel silly when you ask a questions also if pregnant mums book the course and bring the voucher from the bounty pack with them they can get a free first aid kit.

MAGS46 Wed 05-Oct-11 19:05:52

forgot the email address

http://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk/Courses/First-aid-public-courses/First-aid-for-baby-and-child.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now