WARNING - Child snatching attempts in Cambs

(5 Posts)
MumInCambs Fri 15-Jul-11 18:13:10

A friend has asked me to let MN know of this. He received this email, dated Thursday 30th June, from the Headteacher of a Cambs school.

The email reads:

"Subject: Incident in Earith on Wednesday Evening

Please circulate this message regarding an incident in Earith on Wednesday evening. Police are aware.

A teacher at School lives in Earith. Her five year old son (and friend) were playing in the front garden. A black estate car pulled up and the driver or passenger (both male) asked the boys to get in. Thankfully, they ignored the request. Police were called and the boys gave as much information as possible. The police said they are not aware of any other related incidents.".

Since then there have been a couple of exchanges between concerned parents. In one it's alleged that "Chatteris had an incident this morning where a child was dragged towards a van by Eastern Europeans. This is not the first incident, last night a boy was attempted to be taken from March. Last week a 10 year old from Chatteris also was targeted."

Another parent has told my friend that she received a letter from school yesterday about someone in a van attempting to get a girl from Hemingford into it. These are unconfirmed reports but I have no reason to doubt the truthfulness of the Headmaster of a respected school and as a result I thought it reasonable to post the information on here.

MaryBS Tue 19-Jul-11 15:28:10

Can I ask which school (or schools) this was please? Our local school (not far from Earith) has been telling the kids there is no truth to these stories, and to be honest, I'd like to know one way or another! Its very worrying it its true!

MaryBS Thu 21-Jul-11 10:10:09

Its in the news now - that its false!

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Child-snatch-claims-are-false-say-police-21072011.htm

EauRouge Thu 21-Jul-11 10:25:04

Thanks for posting, MaryBS. This kind of thing goes around on FB and in emails all the time. I'm sure there would have been a news report if it was real, attempted child abduction is pretty serious.

MaryBS Thu 21-Jul-11 10:56:59

Yes, I know what you mean. But when people start posting that schools are sending out warning letters, you can't help but worry. I try not to forward them until I get confirmation of whether or not they are true, whether its an abduction or other warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now