Can anyone recommend me a fencing company (as in wooden fences, not sword fighting).

(15 Posts)
ViolaTricolor Mon 20-Jun-11 16:22:46

As above, really! I am ignorant of all things fence related.

MissingMySleep Mon 20-Jun-11 19:38:49

I am in a different area but recently found one I am happy with from check a trade, I could see photos of previous work and see how people had rated him

http://www.checkatrade.com/

ViolaTricolor Tue 21-Jun-11 11:10:32

Thanks MMC smile.

ViolaTricolor Mon 27-Jun-11 11:46:52

Bumping, in the hope that other Cambridge fence conoisseurs might be around...

thegrowlygus Mon 27-Jun-11 12:38:20

No help here but I need one too!! Or someone (a builder?!) that can build us a garden wall. I am assuming that a fence will be cheaper but having said that I am basing that on absolutely no knowledge about these things whatsoever. smile

ViolaTricolor Mon 27-Jun-11 17:52:19

Fence should be cheaper I reckon, but then I know nothing either. We could just fill this thread with professions of ignorance about fences grin. I've asked some people to come and quote so I'll pass on any good tips.

thegrowlygus Mon 27-Jun-11 20:52:08

Cheers! I am clueless. Although our neighbour said that the people that live a few doors down had their fence put up and then a right to-do with the council because it was too tall/too near road/too green/too fencey confused I dunno. All I want is some barrier to stop my children (and dog) legging it out onto the road!!

ViolaTricolor Tue 28-Jun-11 20:22:41

Oh no - hidden dangers I hadn't even thought of worrying about! Ours is a back garden fence so hopefully less scrutinised.

MamaChocoholic Tue 28-Jun-11 20:26:30

can heartily recommend fence and fix. but don't take my word for it, see reviews

AntonDuBurk Tue 28-Jun-11 20:33:35

If anyone is near to Great Shelford/Stapleford I'd be happy to recommend the local guy who did our fence.

Warning - fences cost a lot more than you think they should!! This guy was pretty reasonable (we did some comparisons) but boy, this fence had better outlive me wink That said there are cheap options - wooden posts/fence panels - or expensive - concrete posts/feather boards so you do have some flexibility.

AntonDuBurk Tue 28-Jun-11 20:34:29

grin at "too fency"

ViolaTricolor Wed 29-Jun-11 16:29:57

Ohh thanks MamaC! I'll give them a call. Anton, I am already braced for some hideous figure. There must be a reason why the current one has been left to slowly disintegrate for 80 years. I'll be sure to say I don't want anything 'too fency'.

zoley Wed 29-Jun-11 22:33:51

I was going to recommend the company that did our fence 2 years ago called G&P fencing but rather unhelpfully I can't find any details for them... They did a lovely job - all wooden, fairly fency!

lynniep Tue 12-Jul-11 13:49:00

is it this one zoley?
G & P Fencing Services
14 Princes Close, Balsham, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 6EE

zoley Thu 14-Jul-11 23:09:56

That's the one, cheers Lynnie, I need a new side gate now so will be back in touch, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now