Moving to South Bucks/ West Berkshire

(4 Posts)
jempuddleduck Tue 08-Aug-17 19:43:31

I wonder if anyone could advise please. (I have posted this on the Berks forum too).
We are likely to be moving to the Slough area within the next year because of husband's new job. We definitely don't want to be in Slough itself but somewhere outside within roughly 30 minutes commute by car. The main challenge is that we have four children, two senior school age, two primary and finding decent (state) schools for all looks tough! All the good schools, at least at senior level, look to be oversubscribed. I know about the grammar system in Bucks (have researched schools a fair bit on the internet already) but there is no guarantee that they will have places nor that the children will get in.
As far as I can see, Ascot and nearby villages look v nice but commute a little on the long side and, if children do get into a Slough grammar, would need a lift there (I work too so would be tricky but probably not impossible). Other option is S Bucks, somewhere like Burnham, Farnhams, maybe Marlow but a little on the long side distance wise and oldest won't get into the Bucks grammars as she is already in Yr10 next September and they start GCSE courses in Yr9.

Can anyone offer advice on schools at primary and senior level and which are good areas to live in for a family with several children of different ages? We like a mixture of activities (tennis, walking (have a little dog), eldest likes shopping, the arts but would probably go into London for those). I would say that I really like aesthetically pleasing surroundings and older houses too!
Anyway, if anyone knows the area and can give me some information about different places or general tips that would be fantastic!

Southbucksoldbuffer Fri 18-Aug-17 15:18:19

My children are too old to be of much use re schools. But Marlow based means you have many choices. I know of children including my own who went to schools both primary and secondary in Bucks and berks. Including royal grammar, sir William borlease, John Hampden, burnham grammer for grammar schools. Great Marlow, wye valley, furze platt for secondary moderns . Foxes piece, sandygates, St. Peter's, bisham,little Marlow for primary's hope that may be of help.

BubblesBuddy Fri 18-Aug-17 23:05:37

I think you will have to contact Bucks CC school admissions and see where there are vacancies in schools. Naming schools at random with no spaces doesn't help much. When you have some idea of schools, find a property. Grammar schools recruit for 6th form and there is a heirarchy of the secondary moderns. You don't want the worst ones. Many good primary schools are full. Moving these days is just a nightmare for schools!

jempuddleduck Fri 25-Aug-17 21:58:00

Thank you very much for the two responses! I feel we will have to go for an area with mostly good schools and hope for the best. The chances of great schools for all four children at the same time seems slim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now