La Fontaine Academy

(8 Posts)
JennyB99 Tue 08-Aug-17 10:08:25

I'm hoping to send my daughter to La Fontaine in Sep 2018. Whilst the Ofsted report is "good", I had expected it to be better. Does anyone have children there? Are the children doing well and do they enjoy it? Thanks.

Carmo Wed 09-Aug-17 21:33:07

Hi My DC studied there for 2 years. It is a lovely school but not for everyone. I took DC out because I didn't identify myself with the school anymore. Too strict in Reception. For summer born children this is not good at all. In my opinion the feels that all the children have the same ability and is extremely demanding. I also did not agree with the type of homework they give to children. In my opinion it was not appropriate for that particular school age. However, if you choose to aend your child to LF I am sure that he/she will be doing much better at reading and writing than in any other school..

Allyfe Thu 31-Aug-17 00:28:17

My children are at LFA, going into Y4 and Y2. There are lots of things about the school I love, and other things that they need to work on, as with all schools. I thought that the Ofsted report was actually really fair. There are a lot of positives in the school, amongst them are the outstanding leadership. They are already working to address some of the issues raised in the Ofsted report. Ultimately, the school is headed up by a passionate and committed headteacher, it has a family atmosphere, and the kids are all very happy. As with all schools, there are some for whom it doesn't quite suit. We moved there from a very popular local school which simply didn't suit my DC. However, they are very happy at LFA.

JennyB99 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:33:22

Belated thanks for the feedback. I’ll go and view it and see how it feels.

sagi14 Sun 15-Oct-17 23:00:17

Bump

Grounddown17 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:12:02

My son is in Reception and is really enjoying it! What specific questions do you have Sagi?

Mavericke1 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:52:10

DC is now in year 1. Overall, it's a good school with a good community feel. The discipline though is often experimental. Last year they were giving children time out and sending them into the corridor or to other classes.
This year it is about staying in the classroom at playtime and sitting on the carpet to reflect in silence.
I think these forms of discipline are problematic for very small children and has led to some anxiety and stress. Also, as with any punishment, it can be wielded when a teacher is simply not having a good day or feeling overwhelmed. In those situations often they will pick on one or two regular offenders rather than judge the situation objectively.
Academically though the kids are way ahead in maths and reading compared to many other local schools.

JennyB99 Mon 04-Dec-17 13:23:40

Hi there, having now seen several schools, lots of them have free flow play in place in the Reception classrooms. La Fontaine doesn't seem to do that. Are the children missing out because of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now