Does Anyone have recommendations on Independent School within Bromley

(16 Posts)
Drummersand Mon 24-Apr-17 20:54:19

My oldest daughter who is 11 year old is highly gifted loves challenges along with Algebra and trigonometric problems and highly academic also the other two younger siblings are gifted too. Oldest was at a highly ranked academic private school in Taiwan. This really worries me. Any help or guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Very nervous about the UK school system and general kids behaviour around .
My family just joined me recently where as I have been here from past one year. From my one year gauging the general impression on kids here only triggers fear in me
( very loud in bus and funny behaviour ). Can anyone refer me strongly academic International or Independent Schools in Bromley. smile

Drummersand Mon 24-Apr-17 20:59:55

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/19/english-children-among-unhappiest-world-widespread-bullying

conscience13 Mon 24-Apr-17 23:51:32

I understand your fear and concern !
There are many independent schools in Bromley. Asian schools are completely different from the schools here.
Don't worry. Wish you good luck.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 25-Apr-17 10:04:35

If your 11 yo is academically gifted you could look at a school like Newstead Woods. It is state not independent but is super selective and might suit her academic nature.

Otherwise, as a PP has said there are plenty of independent schools in Bromley. For a girl, I would probably recommend Bromley High as I think (prepared to be contradicted) that it is probably the most selective and academic independent senior school for girls in Bromley. Also it has a very good junior section for any younger sisters, although most of the independent prep schools in Bromley are well regarded I think.

Otherwise, if you are prepared for her to commute a bit, there are very good independents in Dulwich (train ride from Bromley South), notably James Allen Girls' School (JAGS) for girls, or you could even venture up to Central London for St Paul's Girls' School etc, although you might feel that would be a bit far for her to go each day.

NightingaleMum Tue 25-Apr-17 18:24:13

I would recommend JAGS too. My DD went there, there is a coach network, so your DD would not have to travel by train.

UnderTheF1oorboards Tue 25-Apr-17 22:36:31

What makes you think bullying doesn't happen in independent schools?

allyfe Wed 26-Apr-17 08:38:04

Schools in the UK are very different. But it doesn't necessarily mean worse, but they are different. I would second JAPS/JAGS. They are a high performing school and because they are private, they have a flexibility that State schools don't have. But, with all good schools, there may be an issue with places (or lack there of). St Dunstans has a cohort of Chinese students, but they only join for Y10 onwards I think.

Drummersand Wed 26-Apr-17 10:48:14

Thank you for the reply.
I am sorry. I am not Chinese I am a JAPANESE halo.

I am looking for girls schools where children are" kind,tolerant ,with meditations and well being clubs BUT not picking /teasing or making awful remarks " because I heard all sort of stories in my office and many are not so happy even though they are English origins. Heard they pick on kids who are smart or wise. Very scary to see teens here not knowing what responsibilty is.

Would call school to find out if any seats vacant. If you know any schools in London be it any part wouldn't be any problem as we are okay to make a move even if it is expensive. But purely looking for the kind of school like the above description.

Many thanks

allyfe Wed 26-Apr-17 11:11:56

Just to say, I wasn't assuming you were Chinese, I had no idea what nationality you were. You mentioned your children were coming from an Asian education tradition and you were interested in international schools, so I thought the Chinese cohort at St Dunstans might be of interest. smile

Drummersand Wed 26-Apr-17 21:42:29

No problem smilesmilesmile

Drummersand Wed 26-Apr-17 21:43:19

What about St.James

conscience13 Thu 27-Apr-17 00:07:59

There is something called Hebden Bridge school , the school site mentions about meditation etc on similar lines, but not sure about academics and gcse.
May be this link might help you www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/yoga-in-school-could-it-improve-grades-9783275.html

Goodluck

conscience13 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:18:43

If you don't feel confident the best part is finding a job in the same school and have an eye what is happening and making sure your daughter is safe. No other option !

Else you should hope and have some trust that things would go well. State or Independent schools there will be something or the other small incidents or troubles, that might pop up . From my experience I find both state and Independent equal or same in many ways except you pay fees and you hope things would go well. Need not always happen as we think ! State schools are not that bad . You can as well find problem in Independent Schools as well . Can't assume all Independent schools are safe. Depends on your luck as well ! Paying huge amount will not guarantee anything. So it is difficult to judge .

PettsWoodMum Thu 27-Apr-17 19:02:02

If your daughter is 11 then she will probably either be in the last term of primary school or the first year of secondary so I presume you will be looking at senior schools. Most children will already have been allocated places for Y7, the first year of secondary school, and a waiting list will be in place for them. All of the best schools will be oversubscribed so places will be tough to get, although families do move away and ad-hoc places crop up. Bromley High and Jags have entrance tests but the usual round for these has passed so if you were interested you'd need to register (a fee involved) and then they would contact you when a place became available and then your DD would sit a test along with all the others who were waiting. However they are likely to fill any places from their waiting lists at this stage. DD was at Bromley High junior school and is now at the grammar mentioned above. DD experienced more upset at BH than she does in the state system and is far happier being amongst her academic peers. Girls from Bromley end up taking to the train to a wide range of other good schools as the transport links are so good. For example independents: Sevenoaks school is amazing and very academic but caring, it also does the IB rather than A Levels; Walthamstow Hall; City of London girls; - state grammars of Weald of Kent, Tonbridge Girls grammar, Townley and many more. Every cohort can change so one year may be more caring and another year less - so it is hard to say which is more caring, some handle this better than others amd I've heard excellent things of Sevenoaks School in this regard.

Patry Sat 22-Jul-17 22:22:01

I'm really wondering the same that UnderTheF1oorboards here. Why do you think that an independent school will have less bullying/ picking on some type of girls/ more caring?

Chottie Wed 26-Jul-17 13:11:28

I would third JAGS too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now