New to Beckenham area/primary schools HELP

(9 Posts)
Ullaviking Tue 15-Dec-15 21:26:07

I am new to the Beckenham area and have a four-year-old boy who will start school next year. Our address falls within last year's catchment area for balgowan, churchfields and bromley road. I have been looking at ofsted reports and will have visited all three before making the application, but wondered if anyone could tell me their opinions about these schools? Finding it all rather stressful to be honest.

Also I was wondering if there are any play groups/mother groups I could bring my four-year-old to?We do not know anyone in the area so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LocalEditorBromley Tue 15-Dec-15 21:32:22

Hi Ullaviking! Welcome to the area. I hope our community will give you their comments about the schools you are considering. You may also wish to consider the new Harris Primary Academy Beckenham which opened its doors this September. Without knowing your exact location, I'd hazard a guess that it is near enough to you to be a option. It seems to be gaining popularity rapidly and has a very engaged and satisfied parent cohort.

In terms of play groups, very near to you is the Neighbourhood Church on Cromwell Road. This hosts a play group / cafe on Tuesday mornings (9.30am until 1pm, we think) as well as the singing group Songbirds on Mondays and Thursdays from 10.30 am to 11.30am. Both are good for chatting to local parents. There are also a number of activities on at the local library which is possibly not too far a walk for you. All the best settling in!

Ullaviking Tue 15-Dec-15 21:38:17

Thanks localeditorbromley

PettsWoodMum Tue 15-Dec-15 21:51:18

Welcome to the area! I am a few miles away and have no immediate experience but have close friends in Beckenham. Bromley Road is changing from being an infant school with a few classes a year to a one form intake all the way to year six so old catchment data won't apply. I know a little boy there who joined when it was requiring improvement but it is now rated good and the family are very happy with the school. Balgowan has a tiny catchment and is highly sought after but my only experience of the school is via friends DCs who are now grown up. If you ever happen to be applying to Balgowan two years after a bulge class it can have a dramatic effect on the catchment as so many places go to siblings - last time this happened it came out .13 of a mile much to the shock of many local families.

Ullaviking Tue 15-Dec-15 22:00:56

Thanks pettswoodmum, coming from a place where there was one primary school this is all a bit confusing. Getting there.

CloseToAllAmenties Wed 16-Dec-15 08:26:26

Hi Ullaviking and welcome to Beckenham. Our little boy goes to Harris Primary Beckenham and he loves it! The teaching team are great and all their equipment is brand new. It is a lovely little community and our Christmas Fair was fab! Happy to answer any questions you might have...here is a link to what some of the other parents think about the school (from our Facebook page). There is an open morning for the school on 7th Jan at 9:30

www.facebook.com/HarrisPrimaryBeckenham2015/posts/1179583615388832

Best of luck with your search!

CloseToAllAmenties Wed 16-Dec-15 08:31:00

Hi Ullaviking and welcome to Beckenham. Our little boy goes to Harris Primary Beckenham and he loves it! The teaching team are great and all their equipment is brand new. It is a lovely little community and our Christmas Fair was fab! Happy to answer any questions you might have...here is a link to what some of the other parents think about the school (from our Facebook page). There is an open morning for the school on 7th Jan at 9:30

CloseToAllAmenties Wed 16-Dec-15 08:41:00

Ullaviking Thu 17-Dec-15 06:40:01

Thanks close toallamenities, l will have a look on the facebook page. Would have loved to go to the open day, but it clashes with the open day for balgowansad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now