11+ Bexley&Kent Tests Required ASAP

(6 Posts)
VanillaLatte13 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:14:16

Hey,
Our tutor left on holiday and although my son has been working really hard throughout the last 1 1/2 years I do not want to waste a month. He is quite independent, but still needs a tutor guidance. He will be sitting the Bexley and Kent tests this September. Ideally someone who is happy to come to our house in Grove Park during the working week, but we are also keen to travel if not too far from us. Please contact Ivana on tivana@gmail.com or PM me. Thank you!

PettsWoodMum Wed 22-Jul-15 18:04:42

We had a tutor for about six weeks a few months ago but ditched them as they were NBG. We now do it ourselves despite working full time. Tests in seven weeks, gulp! Sadly most decent tutors will have no capacity at this crucial time. Explore Learning centres may have spaces so try them if no success with a tutor. Don't panic and employ any tutor rather than nothing as a bad tutor may be more harm than good. And breathe.

VanillaLatte13 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:10:13

PettsWoodMum, what is NBG, apologies for my lack of knowledge? A while back we had a very expensive tutor who claimed that she got her students in QE, Henrietta Barnett etc. I have printed for her some sources for the local Grammar schools, she took the, but still continued to make DS practise only with Bond and creative writing. I was fed up and booked another one, local, cheaper and better.

I think I'm panicking more than my son, trying not to cause impact on DS! But we are outside the borough and our DC will have to get at least 90-95% to get in. I found a tutor, but was asking myself why are they available and not busy at this time of the year ??? I'm probably not normal :-)) And also he does only 1 hour per session ... I may overreact but really want to get DS in!

PettsWoodMum Thu 23-Jul-15 18:53:10

NBG = No Blxxdy Good. Sorry it is a family abbreviation and I sometimes forget that! I share your pain. DD has heart sent on a superselective Kent Grammar. Last year for Judd and Skinners etc I think the score came down quite low but rules are changing this year for the out of county boys school applications to be more in line with how the girls schools operate. Check out the elevenplusexams website and the Kent forum board in particular.

VanillaLatte13 Thu 23-Jul-15 19:06:24

Thanks. I think Kent schools are a bit too far to travel to from elmsteadwoods station and wil l concentrate on bexley. however skinners and judd qill be quite good to get into!
Good luck to your DD! I just found another tutor who seems to be good. Although for one month it is not much you can do really.

PettsWoodMum Fri 24-Jul-15 06:47:38

Sorry I assumed as you said out of county you meant Kent as they have different score requirements if you are in or out of county. For Bexley you only need a top 180 score if you wouldn't qualify on distance. I would assume you'd be close enough to Chis n Sid in Elmstead Woods for distance but probably not Beths which has a smaller catchment. Hope the new tutor works out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now