Book club...?

(229 Posts)
clairesparkle Sat 07-Nov-09 17:48:41

Does anyone belong to/know of/want to start a book club in Bristol? I've had a bit of a google and most I've found are closed to new members. I'm in Long Ashton but as long as it's an evening thing, can travel (a bit!)

Thanks!

Lamazeroo Tue 08-May-12 20:32:45

Tuesday should be fine for me too. I like the idea of meeting up to discuss choosing. We can also discuss locations: should it be the same place every month? Or our homes? Or different locations dependent on where we all live?
When is a good Tuesday to start?

xkcdfangirl Tue 08-May-12 21:02:52

I'm afraid I really can't do Tuesdays at all, as I mentioned in my post of Thu 03-May-12 - I have to work late every Tuesday and can't possibly join in. Is Tuesday the only possible day that someone else can do or could we look at another day? Or we could have a different day of the week each time we meet so that no-one is excluded every time.

Lamazeroo Tue 08-May-12 21:44:27

Whoops, sorry xkcdfangirl.
I'm on maternity leave at the moment, so could really do any day of the week. Hopefully we'll find one which suits everyone smile

MrsWembley Tue 08-May-12 22:49:58

Any day but Friday is fine by me.

How about a pub to begin with, then deciding if anybody looks like a possible axe-murderer and going from there to each others' homes?

biscuit

xkcdfangirl Tue 08-May-12 23:00:46

Monday is best for me, followed by Wednesday. Any other votes?

boopbedo Wed 09-May-12 17:17:09

Monday works for me then, I work Wednesday night. Pub suggestions to get the ball rolling - the quadrant in clifton, the lansdowne in Clifton and the one near at nicholas's market with the velvet curtain! Can't think of the name but had a committee meeting in there recently and it was perfect for that sort of thing. Will find name if any one fancies a central location but throwing it open for suggestions

xkcdfangirl Wed 09-May-12 18:04:51

St Nicholas Market would be easier for me to get to than Clifton. Do you mean the Crown perhaps? Whichever pub we choose we'll have to check whether there's a pub quiz or live music or something booked for the evening we choose - they often put something on on a Monday to draw in a bit of business on an otherwise quiet night.

MrsWembley Wed 09-May-12 19:40:05

Don't know St. Nic's for pubs but what's parking like, otherwise I'll have to think taxis (although that's a perfect excuse for a couple of sherbets).

The Lansdowne is tiny inside but had a lovely garden. It's been a while since I was last there but can't imagine that's changed much. And for empty space, at least it was so the last time I was there, the Clifton Wine Bar, near the student union, could work.

Spero Wed 09-May-12 23:03:16

Sorry, missed the post about tues. Thought Monday's not good as daughter has ballet, but then thought you probably don't want to meet up at 5pm so any evening good. Happy to do central pub.

Last Monday of this month to pick book? Are you thinking 7pmish to meet?

MrsWembley Thu 10-May-12 19:30:20

grin @ Spero and 5pm!

tsa628 Thu 10-May-12 19:46:21

Excellent. Last Monday, 28th suits me fine. Clifton Wine Bar sounds like a good bet. The Rummer was where I thinking of in town but parking could be a pain although I like MrsWembley's reasoning for not driving. Few sherberts could make the book choice go that much smoother, these things do!

MrsWembley Thu 10-May-12 19:59:15

Looking at everyone's location, Clifton Wine Bar's probably going to be the best bet. Are we meeting first to say hello and choose a book or do we want to choose a book here and then just dive in?

Spero Thu 10-May-12 23:24:33

We could all do a presentation about our book of choice with flip charts and visual aids etc, then vote for the winner. One with most disappointing presentation has to buy all the crisps.

Picking a book now might give me some problems in reading it in time so I vote choice on the night.

Lamazeroo Fri 11-May-12 21:31:56

Yes I agree, let's chat on the night and decide how we're going to work things. Sounds like fun! I've got a seven month old baby so am only just ready to start thinking about nights out now - should be lovely smile

MrsWembley Sat 12-May-12 03:49:26

Ok, so we're nearly sorted then. Anybody got any other questions/problems?

Other than what colour board markers Spero's going to allow, I'm cool... wink

Dolcegusto Sat 12-May-12 07:22:55

So it's Monday 28th at Clifton wine bar. Is that right?

exexpat Sat 12-May-12 14:12:26

Joining this thread rather late, but would there be room for one more? I could usually do Mondays, and haven't been in a book group for aaages.

boopbedo Sat 12-May-12 21:25:45

Cool. See you at Clifton wine bar on 28th may! Ex expat very welcome and anyone else who fancies it. I can get there for 7.30 - does that work for everyone else?

Spero Sat 12-May-12 21:42:30

I will be there at 7.30 with some spare markers - bagsie red. I assume if I google Clifton Wine Bar I will find out where it is.

I fancy the new Kate Summerscale about the Victorian scandal of an adulterous wife. I like the suspicions of Mr Whicher.

MrsWembley Mon 14-May-12 08:33:55

I'll aim for 7.30 but it may be closer to 8. Depends how easy the baby goes down.wink

And I wanted red.sad

exexpat Mon 14-May-12 10:45:10

7.30ish fine for me. The Clifton Wine Bar is the one just along from the students' union, isn't it?

I was wondering if anyone has any strong feelings about fiction v non-fiction, recent v classic, genres etc, or is that all stuff we should be talking about at the first meeting since we won't have an actual book to discuss?

MrsWembley Mon 14-May-12 17:01:06

I only have strong feelings about autobiographies - in that I don't really enjoy them. Otherwise, bring it on!

MrsWembley Mon 14-May-12 17:02:53

Oh, and yes, between the union and the ten o'clock shop. (That's if it's still called that?)

Tercear Mon 14-May-12 20:05:52

Hello, new to Mumsnet (and soon to be parenthood!). I like the sound of a book club and live a couple of streets away from the wine bar. I'm due on the 2nd of June, do you think I'd be mad to come along on the 28th?? It's literally 5 mins walk from home...

Tracey

exexpat Tue 15-May-12 11:05:05

If you think you can waddle that far, then why not? Of course you might not feel up to the next one with a newborn, though I was in a book group when I had DC2 and I used to take her along until she was five or six months old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now