Confusion on giving birth

(7 Posts)
zoenichole158 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:13:52

Hi I’m 26w 4d pregnant and I live in Weston Super Mare. I’ve been told by my midwife that I’m high risk so have to give birth in St Michael’s hospital in Bristol. This is fine but she said that my aftercare will be in Weston hospital. Does that mean that I will give birth then go to Weston to stay overnight? This is my first baby and I’m a bit naive about it all if I’m honest. Also, if this is the case, will they transfer me by ambulance or will I have to make my own way to Weston? I know I have to stay in at least 1 night which is fine if it’s in Weston because that’s where all of my family live but I don’t fancy spending the night in Bristol particularly x

nicknackpaddywhack Fri 27-Oct-17 11:28:39

I thought that meant that you would give birth in st Michaels, stay there until you're discharged, but then your 6 week check etc will be at Weston. Where are your midwife appointments at the moment? At weston hospital?

zoenichole158 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:43:06

Hi, yeah all of my appointments are at Weston Hospital. I’m just very confused with it all tbh. My midwife has left my doctors surgery so I’m getting a new one apparently for my next appointment at the surgery. If everything’s okay with the baby after giving birth can’t I just check myself out of hospital? I really don’t want to stay in Bristol overnight x

Nousernameforme Fri 27-Oct-17 12:00:05

I'm in weston and had this with dc4 st Micheals were absolutely lovely, but they do tend to be quite busy. I never went up to the ward after the birth. I had my baby at 7 in the morning and went home about 2 in the afternoon. Staying on delivery the entire time. Mw came to visit at home the following day as normal 6 week check was with gp.

However it depends on why you are higher risk there may be a need for you to stay on the ward. However I was told iirc that I could return to weston hospital after the birth for care though I am not sure how that would have worked.

Speak to your mw when you next see her and ask her to explain.

I had to go to weston hospital twice. Once as I was over and they needed to book me in for induction at st Micheals, and once after the birth when he was having issues gaining weight i think.

nicknackpaddywhack Fri 27-Oct-17 12:05:55

I was petrified of staying in hospital overnight, but I was so tired and busy dealing with the baby that I honestly didn't care. Plus I was on a ward all on my own in the dark which made it worse as I didn't have a clue where abouts In the hospital I was, and the nurses were a few rooms away. I had to ring my buzzer if I wanted anything, but actually it was fine.

zoenichole158 Fri 27-Oct-17 13:15:18

My placenta is high and I’m overweight. So that’s why I’m high risk. So no major issues, just really don’t want to stay in hospital!x

Nousernameforme Sat 28-Oct-17 13:26:03

You don't have to stay you can put it in your plan that you don't want to if it is avoidable and they will listen to you.

However I would listen to them if they recommend you stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now