Husband starting UWE Frenchay, where should we live?!

(9 Posts)
trinidadmama Mon 15-May-17 21:02:06

My hubby is completing his last year of law school at UWE Frenchay campus starting this Sept 2017.

We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and looking for somewhere in North Bristol. We are moving from the Caribbean, and I have never been to England so I am as clueless as it gets!!

Any suggestions, advice, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

LittleLight42 Mon 15-May-17 23:03:01

Welcome!
Horfield is nice, and close enough to both town and UWE. If he cycles there is a great cycle path leading to Frenchay as well.

arbydad Sat 17-Jun-17 10:08:02

Cycling would be advisable, driving to UWE can be pretty awful due to react traffic at peak times (and limited parking on site).

Horfield and Fulton are (from memory) a fairly good mix of families and student houses.

Maybe try Bradley Stoke too and Yate may seem far but being a bit further out it can be cheaper.

arbydad Sat 17-Jun-17 10:09:25

*Filton not Fulton!

crashandburnt Sat 17-Jun-17 10:25:31

I went to law school (lpc) at Uwe. Most students drove as the hours are quite 9-5 from memory unlike a normal uni course where you are a bit more coming and going. Law students are often funded for fees and maintenance by their future employer for this course so I found us to be a relatively affluent bunch.

Most people I knew lived in redland, Clifton, cotham and a few in horfield / bishopston. All of these areas have lots going on for toddlers. You may find Westbury or stoke bishop or Henleaze are good options too if you can find something affordable. Fulton is a bit up and coming and I think you would find something much cheaper.

Does he have a training contract lined up? If he does and that is in Bristol too I would try and choose somewhere that works for you as a family - the lpc is a short year and you will need to be thinking about applying for primary school before you know it.

crashandburnt Sat 17-Jun-17 10:26:26

Also when I was at uwe law school students could get a parking permit.

crashandburnt Sat 17-Jun-17 10:27:39

Good luck by the way.

scallopsrgreat Tue 18-Jul-17 09:48:01

Not sure about the parking permits any more. Traffic is horrendous from Sept - Dec. If he can cycle/bus that would be much easier. Would avoid Downend/Emersons Green or anything in that direction as they are planning some major roadworks from next Monday on the ring road on that side which will kill us all cause chaos. So Horfield/Filton/Bradley Stoke would be my recommendation.

Here's some info about car parking: www1.uwe.ac.uk/about/visitus/campusmapsandinformation/carparking/carparkingpolicy/guidanceforstudents.aspx The Law faculty may offer special incentives - they certainly used to as crashandburnt said but even then the difficulty will always be finding somewhere to park getting in for 7am is always an option wink.

jennymac31 Tue 18-Jul-17 13:34:20

You might want to consider looking at St Andrews. It’s a lovely area that is quite family friendly and is close to the bus route to UWE. I lived in St Andrews when I completed my LPC course at UWE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now