Secondary schooling for ASD?

(5 Posts)
mrsdutch Mon 06-Feb-17 19:13:21

I have a few years yet to worry but I am worried. Does anyone know of good secondary schools that have provision for children on the spectrum? Are private schools better than state? We are in North West Bristol. I feel like I need to start investigating now. Is private schooling the better option or are there state options that would work? In terms of academics, my son isn't high achieving, but he isn't behind either. It is more the social/behavioral aspect I worry about.

ommmward Mon 06-Feb-17 23:09:41

I know large numbers of home educators in Bristol in your position, but don't know of good school provision to be honest...

LaundryFairy Tue 07-Feb-17 12:38:23

I'd suggest getting in touch with Supportive Parents Bristol:

www.supportiveparents.org.uk/

They provide information and advice to parents of children with SEN in the area.

lovinglapland Tue 07-Feb-17 22:19:07

I think every child with ASD has very different needs, and so you really need to go and visit each possible school and see what provision they have. Some have 'hubs' where children can go to if they become overwhelmed, some may teach in smaller classes within a specific area. State schools are generally set up for this better in my opinion in Bristol, and depending on your son's needs independent schools may not have the provision even if he passes entrance exams. I have a friend who has been recently researching this as her son has a ASD diagnosis. She has so far been impressed with reports of Downend and Abbeywood in terms of their ability to provide for children on the spectrum. But due to some of her sons needs she is not yet convinced either is suitable. Does your son have an official diagnosis and an EHCP? If so, your Senco at school should have some insight as to the right direction to start looking in.

mrsdutch Wed 08-Feb-17 10:02:33

No diagnosis as yet...just starting the process actually which is probably why I am worrying so much. Will definitely talk to the SENCO. Thank you so much for your thoughts everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now