Running Groups Bristol and surrounds

(11 Posts)
MessyFlipflop Tue 03-Jan-17 08:09:25

Hi there, we are moving from Sydney to Bristol in a few months. I love running long distances and have always run alone. Is it safe and would you be running alone around Bristol and in Leigh Woods etc? I normally run early morning or during the day when kids are at school. I'm thinking of joining a running group... Do you know of any? We will probably be living around Long Ashton.... Thanks for any advice!

BoredinBishopston Tue 03-Jan-17 15:03:43

Check out This mum runs, Bristol based group of running mothers. Goes from absolute beginners to ultra runners so you should find someone who can run with you, or point you in the direction of a club which would suit.

Re running alone, it's safe-ish. Depends on your route and time of day. Certainly not high risk if you are sensible, but obviously running with someone else reduces any risk further.

BoredinBishopston Tue 03-Jan-17 19:03:16

www.thismumruns.co.uk/ is to the website, but you can get to the FBook group by following the links online.

Bristol is a lovely place to run, albeit not quite Sydney, enjoy!

crazymum53 Wed 04-Jan-17 12:05:50

I suspect that outdoor running is a more seasonal activity in Bristol than in Sydney. When I am out dog walking, I see quite a few runners (many of whom are female) in the Spring and Summer, but at the moment when it doesn't get light enough before school run time and can be frosty in the mornings no-one at all!
Ashton Court estate would be a good place to run from Long Ashton - there may be a marked trail or you can use the traffic free roadway. Unless mud running is your thing, Leigh Woods would possibly only be suitable in dry warm weather.
If you sign up for the Bristol 10K or half marathon there may also be groups that help people train for the event and guidance about routes.

MessyFlipflop Thu 12-Jan-17 07:45:42

Thank you so much for your replies and the fb link

Knottyknitter Thu 12-Jan-17 19:44:35

This Mum Runs go out all year, all over Bristol and Bath twice a week. I did 5k on the Downs with them last night! You may feel the need for waterproofs!!

RedSpecs Thu 12-Jan-17 23:40:35

I run with This Mum Runs, definitely am all year round activity, but lots of lights and Hi vis this time of yr.

BoredinBishopston Fri 13-Jan-17 17:18:33

See, told you This mum runs was ace grin

Brizzly Fri 13-Jan-17 20:12:39

Also worth trying Westbury Harriers in Westbury on Trym - they meet all year round and cater for all abilities. And have you looked up the Parkrun events?

Auntybet Tue 17-Jan-17 14:28:25

Another vote for TMR - they will drag you round in the cold dark months. And they have cool kit too.

Auntybet Tue 17-Jan-17 14:35:05

If you like outdoor fitness - also look at "mums get fit" on Facebook for loads of free training sessions around Brizzle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now