Help survivors of Domestic Abuse in Bristol

(1 Post)
Mehala Thu 31-Dec-15 12:32:46

Hello all, and a very happy new year to everyone.

My 18 month old son and I currently live in a safe house in Bristol after I experienced domestic violence. We moved in the day after his 1st birthday and have been here almost 6 months now.

Having met some amazing women and children, and hearing the saddest stories of what they have been through, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and to use my time and energy to help future women in need.

Bristol city council is currently letting these women and children down. Safe house is supposed to be emergency, temporary accommodation for women fleeing domestic abuse. Yet it can take months to get a room and then years to get out. This isn't good enough, and the council do not currently prioritise us for rehousing.

I have set up a petition to the council to ask them to change the current banding system to put us in the highest banding priority. It is a really simple step towards helping women and families find safety and security sooner. I believe this could help save lives.

Please read, sign and share my petition. Let's make Bristol safer for vulnerable women and children much quicker.

http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/community/petition/3344

Thank you. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now