Benefits

(3 Posts)
Kyliekitten88 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:12:39

Hello Everyone

Was just looking for some help and advice on Maternity leave.

When on Maternity do you know if you can apply for housing benefit and any other benefits when you go down to statutory pay?

Thanks in advance

😌

Glitterball86 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:38:15

Hello, I had to do this last year (was a pain) but I applied for HB when I was about 30 weeks because the initial application can take up to 10 weeks to be processed! When I inially submitted my claim they closed it because I wasn't entitled to anything so every month thereafter I sent payslips and when my pay dropped after the first 6 weeks they started paying my HB and same with Council Tax help. Applied for Child tax and Working tax credits once baby was born (be advised they do not count the first £100 of income you receive for maternity pay also so this would give you a Lower income smile it was only through speaking to a friend I found this out and worked out I got a bit extra) and child benefit after baby was born (these are the only benefits I get not sure if there are more you can claim) xx

CKer Tue 02-Feb-16 01:09:17

I suggest you call the Citizen's Advice Bureau and book in for a Benefit Check.

My understanding, from a friend who works there (who has stressed that they cannot access the data kept in the office, so you should double check their info), is that while on maternity leave you are treated the same way as someone in employment, so you are entitled to child & working tax credits, housing benefit etc on that basis. This is paid up to a higher level than someone who is unemployed (in-work benefits always try to make work pay, so are more generous).

You will be treated as though you were working your usual hours before maternity leave when calculations are made. For a single mother, they need you to have been working 16 hrs week minimum, and a couple must be working at least 30 hrs between them to qualify.

When benefits are calculated, any child support payments you get are no longer factored in as relevant, on the grounds that too many absent parents simply aren't reliable enough to be able to do so. So that money is a bonus.

If you have a partner present and living with you, then obviously their income will be factored in when calculating benefit entitlement, if any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now