gloucester grammar admission

(10 Posts)
1977traceM Mon 12-Oct-15 13:07:10

Hi I am planning to get my daughter to sit for Gloucester grammar schools exam for next year.any tips from mums who did train their kids this year?im not planning to do tutoring ,but I thougt just worth trying.as we live in Bristol,does anyone know the transport fascilities for children those who go to Gloucester grammar schools?any tips on this subject will be appreciated.

crazymum53 Tue 13-Oct-15 09:52:24

Haven't heard of anyone travelling all the way from Bristol to the Gloucester grammar schools OP so suspect there won't be any travel arrangements laid on.
Which LEA are you under Bristol city council or South Gloucestershire? There are common admissions arrangements between the following councils for school admissions from Bristol city council: Bristol, South Glos, North Somerset and BANES. Am not sure whether South Glos allow applications to Gloucestershire but it could be possible if you live close to the boundaries. Personally would check with the schools you are interested in first to see if it's worth applying (or not).

lovinglapland Wed 14-Oct-15 21:53:31

I do know of several children who sat the Gloucestershire 11+ this year and achieved places at the schools including Pates in Cheltenham. Their current plans are to catch the train from Bristol Parkway. Apparently there are a handful of children who do this. One of the children also thought there may be a private minibus from North Bristol into Gloucester - organised by parents. But I don't believe there is any school/LEA organised transport.

1977traceM Thu 15-Oct-15 13:38:21

Thank you both of you for your response.much appreciated.

ArvidsDaddy Tue 10-Nov-15 20:29:16

Our son will start Marling School in Stroud in October 2016 and we live in Bradley Stoke / Patchway area. Our current plan is for him to catch the train to Stroud. We wonder if there are other boys doing the same? Indeed, if there are others, we would explore the possibility to organise a minibus. Please let us know if you are in a similar situation.

We only took him for the test as a backup plan, but the school is outstanding, with very good facility, engaging teachers and very well spoken boys. So we hope this is well worth the effort.

1977traceM Thu 12-Nov-15 15:18:53

Thank you.I have heard of children doing th same fro Bradley stoke area.But do not know anyone personally.There are 10 -12 children from north Bristol sitting for 11 plus for next year.So if few children gets that was the plan for parents.Will keep you posted.
How was 11 plus for your son?was it very hard to get into?

ArvidsDaddy Thu 12-Nov-15 20:44:16

Many thx. Apologies this is brief as currently on iPhone in Sweden. We bought a set of 11+ exam test papers and he found them challenging but did well (80-95%). However, Gloucester entrance exam changed in 2014 to Durham Uni version which supposedly did not need coaching. On the day I was speaking to a yummy mummy ?? and she had prepared her son in a private group for sometime. Our son did not finish either of the two papers as he did not recognise some of the Q styles, but he qualified unexpectedly. We only investigated Marling after that and have now decided 2 send him there. Keep me posted if you hear anyone else going. Thx again.

ArvidsDaddy Thu 12-Nov-15 20:54:15

Ps. Stroud High for girls next to Marling is also outstanding. We also have 2 girls albeit several years away.

1977traceM Fri 13-Nov-15 19:41:28

Thank you for your response. I do know a girl got selection for girls schools this year from Filton. Im not sure which school they finally selected. if its stroud high I will let you know. may b helpful with transport.

clarejn Tue 17-Oct-17 10:10:59

does anybody have children travelling from bristol to Stroud High school or Marling. Kindly let me know it will be of great help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now