School Enrollment Bristol

(8 Posts)
Harbourmama Wed 12-Aug-15 22:58:33


I will be moving to Bristol to study at the University of Bristol and I really need help with enrolling my child (11yrs) in school. Based on the information on the council website I have missed the enrollment deadline. Does this mean I will not be able to get a place at all? Is there any allowance for persons who missed the deadline particularly international students with families. I tried reaching out to the university but they were unable to help. If I had known I would have applied the same time I applied for university. I really would like some advice as to what to do. Private schools based on the information online are extremely expensive.

Thanks much.

BoredinBishopston Wed 12-Aug-15 23:06:31

There will be schools with spaces. How good they are and how conveniently located to where you will be living is debatable, but there will be a place.

Start with the council, many schools do their own admissions I think but the council should be able to give you some ideas. You will need a Bristol address though.

Good luck.

Harbourmama Wed 12-Aug-15 23:33:27

Thank you. I'm afraid that is the other problem I have, finding an apartment. Can you suggest some good areas to live in especially close to the university? I have never been to Bristol so I really do not know of the good areas.

I contacted the council and the schools suggested are far away from the university. Is there any chance of me getting a placement without an address? Thanks much.

BoredinBishopston Wed 12-Aug-15 23:37:42

How much money do you want to spend on rent? Around university is expensive as quite central and lots of demand from students but Kingsdown, Cotham, Redland, Clifton and St Andrews are all areas which are nice and near the uni.

Harbourmama Thu 13-Aug-15 00:06:44

Looking at between 700-800 pounds.


BoredinBishopston Thu 13-Aug-15 12:22:59

Assuming you want 2 beds and furnished, I think you'll struggle to find something in the areas I mentioned on that budget. On the plus side, you could walk to uni, so no travel costs (but might be costs to get your DC to school).

Have a browse on Right move or Zoopla and see what you can find and bear in mind travel cost and time (which are both on the high side in Bristol).

Does the uni have a housing service / office who can give you some pointers?

Harbourmama Fri 14-Aug-15 00:40:26

Thanks. I did check the uni housing but since it's late I had no luck.

crazymum53 Mon 17-Aug-15 14:45:57

Unfortunately you need a Bristol address before they can offer your child a school place. Which schools still have places available? You can complete an in-year application for a Y7 place, once you have an address and on-line forms should be available on the Bristol City council website from the start of term at the beginning of September.
Slightly cheaper areas that are still OK are:
Schools likely to have places available in these areas: Ashton Park and Bedminster Down (these are Good schools).
Other possibilities are:
Eastville /Easton
Schools likely to have places: Monks Park and Fairfield.
Most schools in Bristol are used to taking pupils from abroad.

Although Bristol uni does guarantee accommodation for overseas students for at least the first year, this is aimed at singles and there is only a very limited amount for families (mostly aimed at postgrads and academics).
You don't say which country you are coming from, but if you need a student visa you need to make sure that this also covers your child coming with you.

Another organisation that may be able to help e.g. with temporary accommodation is BISC attached is their link about this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now