in year application for September

(10 Posts)
saramassa1 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:47:39

Hi all,

we’re another little family moving to Bristol, in less than a month we’ll be there smile

We love Bristol and we’re very excited to move, but as many other in this forum we’re a bit worried because of the school issue. I know we need to be quite lucky to find a place given that all primary schools in Bristol are heavily oversubscribed.

My son will be in Year 1 in September, and I’ve already sent an ‘in year’ application for a place. We’ll be in Southville, which is an area with many schools, so - hopefully - we should have some chance… otherwise, I'd have to find out a solution, maybe homeschooling while we wait for a place, I’m still quite confused about it.

I was wondering if you know which is the average time (if any) for having an answer from the School Admission Office and what the next steps are. Do you know when we’re supposed to know if they’ve found a place? And do you know if they will let us also know in case they do NOT find a place?

Many thanks
sara

crazymum53 Mon 13-Jul-15 10:12:04

It's the last week of the school term in Bristol (schools break up on 17th July) so if you haven't heard anything yet from the city council, I would suggest you ring them up and find out which schools closest to your new address will have places for Y1 in September.
If all your preferences are oversubscribed they will offer the school nearest to your house that has space available, but you can go on waiting lists for nearer schools. Try not to worry too much the Council have created some extra school places in your area so there should be space somewhere.

saramassa1 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:30:27

Thank you very much crazymum. I'm going to wait the end of the term and then I ring them. Fingers crossed! smile

HorfieldMum Mon 13-Jul-15 17:47:59

Schools break up on 20th - the majority if not all have an inset day on Monday though. So there should be staff there til then.

HorfieldMum Mon 13-Jul-15 17:49:35

You could just phone them and see - friend had success doing this last week and got all the info she needed.

ScrambledEggAndToast Tue 14-Jul-15 07:05:03

Ooh, I'm in Bedminster (right next to Southville) great place to live. If you want any tips then let me know grin

saramassa1 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:35:21

Wow, thank you all for the replies smile
I've just written an email to the School Admission Office, hope they let me know soon.

Thank you ScrambledEgg, actually I've understood that maybe we're in Bedminster too, not in Southville grin I'm still a bit confused about the boundaries between the areas, anyway we will be between North street and Chessel, is it Bedminster? And yes, I'd love to ask you for a tip, thank you! smile Do you know if there is any nice kids holiday club in the area? we will be back in town around the 10th of August and I was wondering what to do with the little monster...

many thanks

saramassa1 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:38:17

Happy news, I've just received the email and we'll be in Southville Primary!
I'm super happy smile
Thank you all smile smile smile
Sara

crazymum53 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:22:11

Great news.
Try out Windmill Hill city farm for holiday play sessions with pre-schoolers. They run activities for parents and children throughout the Summer (closed on Mondays).

Heels99 Thu 16-Jul-15 11:56:02

Southville centre have a holiday club linked to southville school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now