Looking for Tutor to help DD with Reading & Writing

(7 Posts)
chewmum Thu 02-Jan-14 21:08:53

I'm sorry this is long; I don't want to drip feed.

My almost 10 yr old is really struggling with her reading and basic vocabulary.

She can read (v. slowly) but when she comes to a word that is unfamiliar, she will just make a guess at what the word is.

When writing she still spells everything phonetically (eg Chirch/Frend), but won't use the phonetic process to sound out unfamiliar words. However, she can learn spellings for a test, get them all right, but they are instantly forgotten by the following week.

According to her end of yr 4 assessment, she has the reading age of a 7 yr old.

I do/have done all the following (with love and encouragement!!):

* She reads to me daily for 10 minutes - with one eye on the book & the other on the clock, she won't go beyond 10!
* She has joined a library and chooses her own books (but she is influenced by what the other kids get out - i.e. Jacqueline Wilson - and ends up feeling overwhelmed because they are all free reading but refuses help with choosing more appropriate books)
* I read to her every night, I leave at an exciting bit (in the hope that she will pick it up afterwards!)
* We have tried comics, magazines, cartoons

I may add that I am a prolific reader myself which makes this especially hard-I was brought up with books, my mother is the same.

I have had lots of talks with her teachers; they don't think that she has dyslexia. Her current teacher agrees with my belief that I am too emotionally involved because she is really starting to rebel against me; so she thinks that a Tutor would be a good idea. Unfortunately, the ones she knows are already booked up and a couple have now retired.

So, I am looking for an English Tutor, preferably in the Chew Valley area but would be willing to drive into Bristol/Bath.

Are there any recommendations out there?

Many Thanks!

chewmum Tue 07-Jan-14 14:12:44

Anyone there?

penguinfeet73 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:17:11

We've had a couple of tutors over the years from the Bristol Tutors agency, both have been very good, and I would recommend trying them if you haven't already found someone by word of mouth.

chewmum Fri 31-Jan-14 13:45:36

Thank you Penguin!

A friend of a friend has recommended someone from one of the other primary schools, so I'm going to give her a ring.....but if that doesn't work out then I'll try the Bristol Tutors Agency.

chewmum Sun 16-Feb-14 11:11:42

Penguin - sorted, starts in March with the friend of a friend (DD on a residential when she gets back after half term). smile

GetCreativeTutoring Wed 19-Mar-14 13:57:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

silverstar34 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:28:14

I have a friend who went to Cambridge university and has been a secondary teacher prior to maternity leave. She maybe interested in assisting i'll contact her asap and then get back to this post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now