government funding question

(4 Posts)
chubbachupp Thu 25-Aug-11 22:14:27

hello,

I'm pretty new to bristol so don't know many people (hence don't know many to ask!)... my son has just been offered a place at magic dragon pre-school from january (have been offered september but we have put it forward to january so there's less time for us to pay - I'm self employed and business is very up and down at the moment).

Anyway, was having a look at the ofsted reports for magic dragon and horfield welly (who can only offer him place from sept 2012), just to get an idea and noticed that for magic dragon it says that they have 33 on roll with 5 on government funding, and horfield welly 41 on roll and 37 on funding. I just don't get it?? ey both run 4 days a week but is there some loophole I am missing or most children at magic dragon under 3 or something..! just so you know I did ask about this on the phone, but was confused by answer plus I feel a bit embarrassed asking again as I feel I should be making enough money to cover these costs and feel like a bit of a scrounger, so hoping someone here might be able to illuminate me!
thanks!

chubbachupp Thu 25-Aug-11 22:15:39

oh sorry, totally unclear - son is 3 in january so will get government funding in april

Runoutofideas Fri 26-Aug-11 16:33:42

What answer did they give you? It does sound a bit strange, but I don't know anything about Magic Dragon. Could it be that the inspection took place at a time when lots hadn't yet qualified for funding? Or is it really reasonably priced so people are using their funding in other places such as nurseries if they are using two providers? I don't think you would sound like a scrounger by asking them again to explain it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

chubbachupp Tue 30-Aug-11 09:32:43

Thanks! Sorry been away - the inspection date was end of 2009 and publication in early 2010. It is very reasonably priced I think, compared to others: a morning session between 9.30 and 12.00 is £15 - they do 4 mornings a week. I didn't realise people sometimes use 2 providers, perhaps that's what it is then?

Thanks for the help. I thought I'd post here in case anyone used Magic Dragon. I'm going in on the 15th so will get more info then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now