portishead move

(6 Posts)
ginbob Mon 13-Jun-11 23:39:42

I'm a mum of 3 (dd age 3 and ds twins age 1) and going to rent somewhere in the southwest - if portishead might be out of reach due to over-subscribed schools and pricey housing, could anyone recommend somewhere nearly-as-lovely within a 10 mile radius? Money's fairly tight but we hope to rent somewhere under £1,000pcm with lots to do for the kids, not too many social problems, good transport links - then buy in the same area within a year or two, when we can sell our house in Nantwich. I don't know the South West at all so could really use some local knowledge. Where's best to live? We can get established and get to know other mums, then focus the house hunt whilst already down there.... ?

plipplops Tue 14-Jun-11 08:27:22

Clevedon's really nice (although potentially not any cheaper?) There's a small pebbly beach and victorian pier, with a lovely park on the seafront. Lots of toddler groups etc (I don't live there myself but have friends who do) Decent buses to Bristol but no train.

crazymum53 Tue 14-Jun-11 13:34:56

If you're looking at commuting by train you may like to consider Nailsea or Backwell which are on the Bristol- Weston super Mare line.
Portishead is a great place to live, but most people I know travel there by car rather than public transport. The local bus operator is First bus and fares are quite expensive compared to other cities.

ginbob Wed 15-Jun-11 21:36:18

Cleveden, Nailsea and Backwell, right... thanks a million goes away to furiously research

BambinoBoo Thu 16-Jun-11 08:42:14

We looked at Portishead when we came to Bristol, but had to rule it out as we both work in Filton and heard that the one road out of P'Head was a daily nightmare. We looked at Nailsea (which was a bit quiet for me - Londoner). I have heard good things about Backwell though - has a fab state secondary by all accounts - and Clevedon is really pretty.

We settled on Downend in the end and as it's on the S. Gloucestershire side the schools aren't as over-subscribed and it has good transport links. Plus is close to various parks and I also understand that there's a local holiday scheme which will come in handy when DS starts school.

plipplops Thu 16-Jun-11 17:52:56

Not a fan of Nailsea myself, it does have most things you'd need but a v depressing shopping centre in the middle. The station is "Nailsea & Backwell", nearer to Backwell. Mind you they have just added a Waitrose to Nailsea centre so that might be the sign of things to come... I'd prefer Backwell but it's quite a lot smaller (the supermarkets are in Nailsea and it has a better sports centre but the swimming pool is in Backwell).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now