Where's a good place to buy maternity bras in Brighton?

(26 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Sun 20-Sep-09 23:45:34

I thought I might pop down to Bravissimo, but their website says they only do nursing bras. I don't think my booswams will be quite large enough for their sizes until after I've given birth. Anywhere else that's good to try?

ErikaMaye Sun 20-Sep-09 23:47:39

I think Bravissimo do from a DD upwards if that's any help. And all back sizes, thankfully.

I bought my maternity bras from Mothercare in all honesty. Have heard of a place in Hove that was recommended for them, but can't remember the name right now!!

BHS?

MrsMerryHenry Sun 20-Sep-09 23:50:14

Oh, never thought of Mothercare, where are they?

I'll try Bravissimo, but I think I'm probably just under a DD at the mo. You never know, though - I'm certainly in the 75% of women with the wrong bra size.

If you do remember the Hove place that would be excellent as that's where I'm based!

MrsMerryHenry Sun 20-Sep-09 23:54:12

Right, just got my arse into gear and have searched for M/care myself (blush at laziness). So their address is Churchill Sq, is that inside the centre or along the main street?

ErikaMaye Sun 20-Sep-09 23:54:58

Mothercare are in Churchill Square, down the bottom, right at the back on the left You can also order online if they don't have your size in - though its quite a big store and they tend to have a fair range of sizes.

If you do go there, just bare in mind they don't messure you "normally" - no tape messures! Though I will say that my Bravissimo bras were the most comfortable and best fitting I ever bought. Shame I can't wear them at the moment!!

Will have a browse through, its on one of the threads. Will get back to you

Debenhams have a messuring department, too, by the way, if you want a traditional messure up!

MrsMerryHenry Mon 21-Sep-09 10:18:10

Thanks Erika, I'd rather the old-fashioned sizing by sight method as I find tape measurements are far less effective. Will try both Bravissimo <<hopeful>> and Mothercare.

ErikaMaye Mon 21-Sep-09 10:35:43

Oh is that how they used to do it? I just thought they were trying something new blush But yes, its fab. Good luck, hope you find some! Mothercare online still have a sale on maternity wear, just so you know

MrsMerryHenry Mon 21-Sep-09 10:42:17

Well I sort of assumed it's what women did in the days before tape measure, but actually come to think of it bras have only been around for...<<holds finger in the wind>> about 150 years or so...so maybe you're right and the tape measure system was the original! Still, I find it less reliable - once went to one of those amazing old ladies who looked at my chest and then guffawed when I said I was a former 36A. More like a 34C, I think she said. It's about the only time when someone can laugh at you and it gives you an ego boost! grin

Will check out mothercare sale online, thanks!

ErikaMaye Mon 21-Sep-09 11:59:10

Haha I can imagine... grin

RorysRacingMa Wed 23-Sep-09 15:32:04

There's a mother and baby swanky rather pricey looking shop whose name i can't rememebr but it's on North Road opposite Infinity Foods shop. They sell the very lovely Hot Milk bras - pricey but so worth it. Also available at the brighton Birth shop in Whitehawk

Pollyanna Wed 23-Sep-09 15:42:26

bravissimo is good - you are ok with underwired, as long as it is properly fitted (apparently). I thought they did below a dd?

Otherwise Jojomamanbebe?

I got some bras from that shop opposite infinity foods too - can't remember if that was during or post-pregnancy though.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 23-Sep-09 23:01:49

Tried jojo with DC1. Crap bras. Maybe it's because I got their cheapest.

I think swanky and pricey is a definite no. I've seen the shop - from the outside, and that's the way it's going to stay!

donttrythisathome Wed 23-Sep-09 23:17:27

I second (or is that third) Bravissimo. I tried on some jeans in the posh maternity shop..£164!! Just got them second-hand on ebay for £31 grin

donttrythisathome Wed 23-Sep-09 23:19:51

Oh yeah brastop.com/SearchPage.aspx?type=1&size=&brand=HOT%20MILK&colour=§ionid=&text=here have a sale on hot milk bras. No idea what they're like mind.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 23-Sep-09 23:22:03

Hotmilk - great name, great-looking bras. But I've learned from experience that you have to try them on before you buy.

rachelstephens Fri 25-Sep-09 14:09:56

the swanky shop - mamissima do excellent sales with 70% off so worth bearing in mind. JJMB also have mat bras

DebbieButler Sat 26-Sep-09 12:04:59

I found this Maternity Underwear site really useful as they pull in all the products from the leading retailers onto one easy to use site.

opinionatedmother Sat 26-Sep-09 15:34:48

Mammisimma opposite infinity foods - lovely range of Hot Milk (though you may do better to order from their website)

opinionatedmother Sat 26-Sep-09 17:57:36

as someone already said, but it took 4 hrs to click 'post'

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 22:09:05

Aww, thanks all - I actually got some from Bravissimo but will bear Mamissima in mind for nusing bras.

opinionatedmother Sun 27-Sep-09 22:16:41

what's the difference between a nursing bra and a maternity bra?

if that's not a daft question?

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 22:25:44

Not a daft qu. Nursing bras have clips so you can remove the cup for bfing easy-access. Maternity bras are just soft-cup and should have some give for growth.

In the end I bought well-fitting underwired bras as they give better shape and underwires are fine during preg as long as they fit well.

opinionatedmother Sun 27-Sep-09 22:58:50

tks. there's a brigthon meet being organised too

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 23:02:22

Oh, great - do you know where the thread is?

opinionatedmother Mon 28-Sep-09 10:49:56

here it is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now