Aspergers - Anyone know of any support/social groups?

(18 Posts)
enprovence Sat 08-Aug-09 17:41:49

Hi, my son has Aspergers and I am looking for a local support group for parents with children with ASD. I would love to take him to a group with other Aspergers children or just meet up with parents to chat. Does anyone know of anything like this in Brighton/Hove area?

2shoes Sat 08-Aug-09 18:10:05

heel try these people, they will be able to help, they also do a brilliant book that was my bible

enprovence Sat 08-Aug-09 19:12:19

I am looking really for a sort of coffee morning type group where I can take my ASD son to mix with other aspergers children and meet the parents. I would also like to find a group that meets perhaps in evenings, without the children for a drink and a chat.

2shoes Sat 08-Aug-09 19:17:19

contact them, they will know of one.

Spidermama Sat 08-Aug-09 19:28:17

How about asking Cllr Keith Taylor?
He's a Green councillor in the city and I know his ds has Aspergers though he's grown up now. His wife has been involved in setting up support groups. Both of them are really nice people and very approachable.

You'd be able to contact Keith through the council.

Pollyanna Sat 08-Aug-09 19:32:54

i would be interested in finding out about this too.

I have heard of Amaze but haven't contacted them yet (my 10yo ds has recently been diagnosed too).

2shoes Sat 08-Aug-09 19:44:40

Amaze ids brilliant, probally as it was et up by parents to help parents.

enprovence Sat 08-Aug-09 21:39:01

Had a look on the Amaze link and there are meet up groups. One seems more 'talk' related, then meet up after. I am after meeting up with a group of mums and dads with their aspergers children, or without, to chat. More of a relief and respite for parents of ASD children, who can talk about anything and everyting and let their children be children, rather than aspergers children!!
Wonder if I could set up my own meeting somewhere local?

saintmaybe Sat 08-Aug-09 21:45:07

Another 'yay' for Amaze. They are absolutely fantastic. Call them anyway, maybe, because it still might be a good way to meet people, or they might have other parents who've contacted them wanting something similar who they could put you in touch with.

RnB Thu 20-Aug-09 09:52:01

How old is your son, enprovence? My son has HFA and is 8. i would be interested in helping you set up a group if you wanted to go down that route...

Ravenousbeast Thu 27-Aug-09 09:55:21

I am desperate for the kind of support that you are describing enprovence...have you found anything? I would come to any group.

Ravenousbeast Thu 03-Sep-09 09:36:41

I am bumping this ...anyone who is interested please come back on! I am keen to meet/talk to some parents.

RnB Thu 03-Sep-09 19:36:23

Hi RavenousBeast, how old is your child?

Ravenousbeast Thu 03-Sep-09 20:40:33

Hi RnB - he is 3 but un-diagnosed. I have a 6mth baby who has been referred to developmental paed already.

RnB Fri 04-Sep-09 09:59:28

Your 6 month old has been refered??

Are you in Brighton & Hove Ravenous Beast? I live in Hove x

Ravenousbeast Fri 04-Sep-09 11:51:37

Yes he has been referred- low muscle tone and poor social development among other things. sad It's miserable.

I'm in Brighton

RnB Fri 04-Sep-09 19:46:46

Oh you poor thing

Would be happy to meet up if you like. I've been through the whole ASD thing - feel like a veteran now , would love to meet you. You can email me at info@oughtism.co.uk

Ravenousbeast Sat 05-Sep-09 10:52:40

Thanks RnB it's nice to have kind words & offer of support. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now