Recommendations for nurseries in the Fiveways area

(14 Posts)
coffeecups Wed 24-Jun-09 19:33:47

After a long drawn out moving/ purchasing process it looks like we'll be in our house in Osbourne Road during the summer holidays. I need to find a nursery for DD who is 3 1/2. Quite happy if it's just a term time place, but need it to be very close by as not only do i have a ds of 1 but am expecting no 3 in September. Any tips/views gratefully received.

noddyholder Wed 24-Jun-09 19:35:06

Welcome to 5ways!I know the area but ds is 15 so no info on nurseries although have heard good things about the one in Florence road.

rachelstephens Fri 26-Jun-09 09:59:17

hi, the one in florence road has a very long waiting list - i have put my 2 year old it and been told she won't get in until next year. there are various playgroups which have vacancies - one at dorothy stringer and one called hollingbury playgroup which is at the very top of balfour road. there are other nurseries around which i am sure are all good, if you contact the family and information services at the council they are really helpful

coffeecups Fri 03-Jul-09 10:02:01

Thanks for the tips - rather hoping to have a place for daughter in September and have just been told by the Florence Road one she's still on the list......

Anyone heard about the one in Hollingbury at the tennis pavilion of the group at Dorothy Stringer?

faymous Fri 03-Jul-09 10:34:27

My little boy goes once a week to Pumpkin Patch (Preston Drove). He loves it (he's 16 months).

saintmaybe Fri 03-Jul-09 10:49:56

Dd used to go to the surestart nursery (cherry trees), in Hollingdean, even though we had to drive from Hove to get there. I think the quality of care and staff there is really exceptional, and for me that outweighs any other consideration. I only knew about it because one of the managers is a friend, and someone who I have huge respect for.
Dd is my youngest, of 3, so I've done a lot of looking at nurseries in B&H, (and I'm super-picky!) and I'd really recommend having a look at it.

Mammina Fri 03-Jul-09 14:44:18

Coffeecups I wonder if you got the house I was after envy wink.. we have found another one now and fingers crossed will be moving in September grin.

I contacted the one attached to Hertford Infants School just to see what the score was - anyone know anything about it? Any good?
Saintmaybe I'll definitely have a look at the one in Hollingdean (DD will be 3 in Feb and hope to get her to do mornings as of then)

coffeecups Sat 04-Jul-09 12:24:54

Migola- i hope not blush. We did see quite a few for sale on the same road there in Feb. When were you looking?

Faymous - that sounds really close and handy. Will investigate.

I know it sounds lazy but don't want to have to go far as I'm expecting no. 3 in Sept, no. 2 has just turned one and I don't want to be trekking everyone miles.

Mammina Sat 04-Jul-09 23:16:59

I can't remember when it came on. From what I remember it was on before Christmas then got taken off the market then was back on maybe a couple of months later and had gone within something ridiculous like a day before I got a chance to see it!

Lucyloudavis Thu 16-Jul-09 11:25:57

You should look at Early Years on Harrington Road, they have just been awarded 'outstanding' by Ofsted!

rachelstephens Thu 06-Aug-09 20:22:36

the one at stringer only takes kids for a couple of hours a day, something like between 9 and 12 and then 2 and 4 or something.

i have put my daughter down for a place at the tennis pavilion one. it looks like a right mess from the outside but the staff are lovely, it is really secure and they have loads of stuff for the kids. she is always in a good mood when we pick her up, plus it is really cheap as it is run as a not for profit organisation which means i can justify it when i am on maternity leave in the autumn!

hope your move has/will go well

furrycat Fri 07-Aug-09 10:59:08

Rachel, what's that one called?

NYEm Sun 09-Aug-09 11:34:52

I used to live on Osbourne and one of my kids went to Wonder Years on Surrenden Cres and the other to Growing Up Green. Both were nice when they started but I gradually became unimpressed. But this was 3-5 years ago... I do miss Osbourne Road though. Have never been so fit with all the hills in Fiveways. Enjoy!

rachelstephens Mon 10-Aug-09 20:47:21

think it is hollingbury park playgroup. it is in the knackered old tennis pavilion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now