looking for playgroup/nursery for 2 and a half year old in hove...any suggestions?!

(9 Posts)
shineyb Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:54

we are moving to hove in september and looking for a playgroup/nursery for our daughter in the central hove area. she won't be attending full time, more like 3 or 4 mornings a week. i don't know the area too well yet so any advice would be much appreciated! thanks.

Ronaldinhio Sat 20-Jun-09 21:31:40

cbabiesafe

iheartdusty Sat 20-Jun-09 21:42:49

I've never heard anything bad about any of them, and there are lots to choose from.

family information service

my 2 DCs went to Poets Corner, the staff were kind but it's a very small place with a tiny garden (near station and opened early, so fit my requirements).

nervoussara Mon 22-Jun-09 20:56:06

I manage a nursery in brighton, I'm not giving away the name. The Family Information Service is great. If you can ask other mums/dads in parks nearby as recommendation is good, but what one person likes another may not.
Ofsted reports are good, but only give a small picture.
Visit as many as you can. Ask about staff turnover. You don't want your child somewhere when staff leave all the time. Most nurseries or playgroups are really flexible with sessions.
There are some great ones out there and unfortunately not so great. Good luck!

shineyb Tue 23-Jun-09 11:25:26

thanks so much for all your advice. have arranged to see a few places next week. think a lot of the popular ones have long waiting lists!

saintmaybe Tue 23-Jun-09 11:59:46

It's not in Hove, but when we were living in Hove, up until 18 months age, dd was at the surestart nursery in hollingbury (Cherry trees). We chose it over any of the popular, expensive places we had to drive past to get there because of the quality of care and quality of communication with the children. I never heard a staff member speak in a way that made me uncomfortable, and I'm really picky. It really was great.

If you're not needing a lot of hours, the nursery attached to the Dharma school in Patcham is also completely lovely, but I think it's still only mornings.

Pollyanna Tue 23-Jun-09 12:33:51

Blueberry seems to be the most popular nursery, but there is a massive waiting list.

scarlotti Sun 19-Jul-09 09:49:35

DS goes to nurserytyme which is near hove station. Look on their website. He loves it and we've never had any problems.

olnroar Sun 19-Jul-09 21:02:03

following on from saintmaybe's message... have a look at The Dharma School Nursery on Ladies Mile Road in Patcham. It's a really lovely, friendly, small independent nursery and primary school. My two boys (5 & 7) love it there. It is very child centred and the teachers are excellent. Have a look at the web site www.dharmaschool.co.uk

The school's based on a Buddhist ethos (basically good morals) and welcomes kids/families from all backgrounds and faiths. It got a good Ofsted report in 2007.

Kids attend from all over Brighton & Hove and it has a real community feel. Lots of lift sharing too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now