Moving to Hove from London- commuter

(6 Posts)
twiggy13 Mon 12-Jan-09 19:44:08

Hi there

I've read through the various threads about moving down, but still thought it worth starting 1 up. We are looking to move down to Brighton/Hove in the autumn. At the moment the plan is for either my DH or myself to commute to work in London so we would like to be as near as possible to either Brighton or Hove station. My DD will be just over 2 when we move so we are also thinking about nurseries etc Any recommendations for roads to look at or roads to avoid would be great. We're really keen to live close to the sea so Preston Park is looking unlikely, whilst Hove is looking more and more likely. Having lived in a flat with no outside space for the past 6 years, any size garden would be a bonus for us.

treacletart Mon 12-Jan-09 19:49:09

Don't know your budget, but I reckon Poet's Corner could be your best bet.

Pollyanna Mon 12-Jan-09 19:52:46

I live near 7 Dials - we really like this area (moved down from London 2 years ago), but it is fairly expensive. What would your budget be?

iheartdusty Mon 12-Jan-09 19:55:37

Poets Corner is a lovely area, neighbourly and more affordable than many, short walk to Hove station or Aldrington station (fewer trains from there).
There is a choice of nurseries there, including the actual Poets Corner Nursery - both my DCs went there for varying times, it was well run and suited my DD but less so my DS, and it really has very little space I now think with hindsight. I haven't heard anything bad about any Hove nurseries.
also poets Corner has an Ofsted excellent infant and good junior school in the middle of it, and its own park.

another excellent area is Lullington Avenue, just south of Old Shoreham Rd, you get a lot more for your money there.

What's your budget? How many bedrooms?

twiggy13 Tue 13-Jan-09 19:27:31

Thanks so much for all your messages/ advice already- it's really appreciated. Ideally we're looking for a 3 bedroom house and are looking to spend less than £300K. Looking at Find a Property, that doesn't seem to rule Poets corner out. Good to hear about the nurseries and infant/ junior schools in PC. We'll also check out Lullington Avenue though- haven't looked there at all.

iheartdusty Tue 13-Jan-09 21:02:05

eg

walk under the railway bridge and you are in Poets' Corner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now