Single mum trying to relocate to Brighton-help!!

(8 Posts)
Katiejean76 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:29:27

Hi

I've been wanting a fresh start in Brighton for a while now and am in a good position to move from my current town as I'm having to leave my rented accommodation. Anyway - and I'll try not to waffle- every time I see a flat on right move, it's gone within a day! So I need to move with no job, no school place and no friends to move into with as a base. I have the funds to pay for a flat a few months in advance but without being able to base myself in Brighton it's proving to be so difficult!!! My son is about to go into year 1

Has anyone done this or can anyone offer me any advise on a way round this?

Thank you!!!!

self Sat 29-Aug-15 21:29:36

HI,
I am moving too to Brighton, after only 3 visits. I signed for a house only for it to fall through whilst i was on holiday. The land lord was kind enough to find me another one on the same street, so i am moving to a house i have never seen with no garden my worst nightmare. i have signed only for 3 months, so i can look for something whilst i am there that i like. Son is going into Yr 3, still don't have a school place. i just had to do it or i would have been stuck in London for another year. Please do keep in touch and we can explore Brighton together.

Katiejean76 Mon 31-Aug-15 00:34:56

Hi Self
Wow! That's brave! So what will you do about the school situation? Do you have much support in Brighton?
Would be good to chat to you!

Tsmummy08 Tue 08-Sep-15 11:30:14

I moved to Hove 3 1/2 years ago as a single mum. Had visited a few times and was buying not renting so a bit different. DD hadn't started school and we missed the deadline to apply for places but luckily got our first choice when I was finally able to apply... It's do-able!

I knew one person when I decided to move here, who I stayed with for a couple of days at a time while house-hunting but within a few months of moving here had a good social group, started dating etc! It's a great place for single parent families and bringing up kids generally. Housing is expensive but there are loads of parks/seaside etc if you don't have a garden - and I know plenty of people that don't.

Good luck!

Katiejean76 Thu 10-Sep-15 01:07:59

Hi Tammy
Thanks for the post... My support network is 4 hours away so I guess that's one reason that is stopping me from taking the plunge and renting from so far away is a nightmare!! Sounds like it worked out for you though! Can I ask where you were before? It would be good chat to you form some advice!

Scotslasslivinginfrance Wed 23-Sep-15 22:39:18

Hey Katie, how are your moving plans come along? Any progress? We have recently moved here too and our first place fell through. Properties go quite quickly and generally go on the market and people move I within the month. If you have a preferred Area I would suggest sticking to that and letting agents know, if you can come for a couple of days you could set up lots of viewings but be prepared to make your decision there and then as they go fast.
Good luck

luisaluisa Sat 21-Nov-15 21:56:13

Hi
I moved to Brighton 5 month's ago now, I was 8 months pregnant when I came here. I haven't been out much, as being heavily pregnant was hard, and then after having my daughter and getting used to being a mummy. I am now ready to go out for a coffee or a glass of wine and meet some nice friends and build a social life.
Speak to you guys soon xxx

Poppywink Tue 01-Dec-15 20:40:06

Could you come down for just one day and view as many places as possible and then pick one? That's what I did a couple of years ago. Estate agents might also show you places that have just come up and aren't on rightmove yet so you could be the first person to view them. This too is what happened to us and we took it straight away smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now