Do you know any elderly people who would like to be adopted as grandparents?

(8 Posts)
georgiets Wed 20-May-15 13:35:08

I've been called mad for doing this, but it's born out of desperation! We have 2 daughters (6 1/2 yr old and 3-month old baby) and are looking for Grandma and Grandpa role models for them to come out with us on family days out.

If you know a nice old lady or gentlemen who don't have grandchildren of their own and who might be interested please ask them to reply to this thread.

georgiets Wed 20-May-15 13:36:13

I forgot to add, that we are based in Brighton, and for practical reasons we'd ideally like to find grandparents who are also based here. Thanks!

Breadkneadslove Tue 26-May-15 08:02:41

What a lovely idea...Hope you find some. Have you thought of approaching local support services for the elderly they might know of some suitable people who could benefit from some company and days out.

Good luck with your search.

georgiets Wed 27-May-15 20:57:35

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm going to give it a go - no luck as yet!

Noichi Tue 23-Jun-15 14:58:15

Hi Georgiets

any luck with Breadkneadslove's advice?

Just seen the post today. I've previously come across ageconcern's uk 'Befriending an older person volunteering option' - maybe this may be an avenue for you - best to discuss with the charity as to what may be suitable.

Good luck!
Noichi

georgiets Tue 23-Jun-15 15:51:27

Hi Noichi, thanks for your suggestion, we've had no luck as yet. I've considered befriending but ruled it out as we are looking for grandparents who are still really active and independent. I'm actually thinking about starting up an Adopt-a-Grandparent charity as I feel there is a gap in the market. In Germany there is an Adopt-a-Grandma charity that's been running for 25 years....it's state sponsored and united thousands of families together. There's tons of research to do first though.

hmac139 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:13:23

Great idea! We were saying we need the same thing…family are so strung out these days.

Noichi Wed 24-Jun-15 10:46:29

Hi Georgiets

sounds like a plan - good luck!
Lots of work there but it'll be very rewarding for a lot of families. All the best!

Just checking - are you German? Me German/Spanish smile

Hmac139 good luck to you too smile

Noichi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now