Waterbirths at Royal Sussex County Hospital

(10 Posts)
AnnsWell Sun 03-Feb-13 20:38:55

I had dd in the birthing pool, it was a wonderful experience. No additional pain relief and a happy memory.

Poppywink Wed 23-Jan-13 18:53:53

Thanks for the info drystonewallchart. Yeah, in the video of the tour the rooms looked quite small so was just wondering. I'm sure I won't care nearer the time.

Thanks notsorockinhippy - yeah have to be realistic. Will see it as a bonus if I get the pool.

Kcubs1 - I'm 5 months now - thinking about these things in advance, lol. Good luck with it all. Let me know how it goes smile

drystonewallchart Mon 21-Jan-13 21:30:00

Er the room ... it was white! To be honest I don't really remember the room all that much but it seemed quite big enough, not sure there was a bed in there, I delivered on the floor, on lots of towels (oh the glamour). It must have been warm as I don't remember being cold at all. It all went by in a bit of a blur although I was in there for a good few hours. The most important thing was it really helped me relax so I didn't need any pain relief or interventions which after DS1 was wonderful.

Good luck with everything.

notsorockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:56:36

Good luck BTW & to pass on the best tip I was given - when your contractions start - count to 60 - no contraction lasts more than a minute apparently & it really does help 5take your mind off it - worked for me smile

notsorockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:54:31

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get it though, I did request it, let them know it was something i felt quite strongly about as i wanted a natural birth, but as DD happened to make her appearance on one of the busiest birthing nights, I had no chance of actually getting it - take along other stuff to help with relaxation & see it as a bonus if you do manage to get a pool, rather than a disappointment if you don't IYSWIM

Kcubs1 Fri 18-Jan-13 17:24:00

Due in 4 weeks - you?

Midwife said to me that if you request it as soon as you get in you are likely to get it. Fingers crossed anyway .

Poppywink Fri 18-Jan-13 12:25:51

Thanks for the replies.

Kcubs1 - when are you due?
Drystonewallchart - everything I have heard about waterbirths has been positive. Sounds like you had a lovely birth. I think they only have one pool at the RSCH so was wondering how likely I'd be to get it as it can't be booked in advance. I guess it just depends on the day...Fingers crossed. What was the room like?

drystonewallchart Wed 16-Jan-13 17:49:33

I used the birthing pool during labour with DS2 but got out to deliver him. I hadn't even considered using the pool but my wonderful midwife suggested it and it was really good. It really helped me relax and I'm sure that I had a much easier birthing experience because of it.

Kcubs1 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:19:27

I haven't but am hoping to so watching with interest....

Poppywink Sun 13-Jan-13 19:04:35

I would like to have a waterbirth at the RSCH in Brighton and was wondering what experiences people have had there? Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now