Parking in central Brighton- nightmare? And other Newbie Q's!

(6 Posts)
Lily15 Sun 23-Oct-11 20:28:59

Hi I'm new to all this so bare with me!

We are overseas but are relocating to Brighton with our 3 children ages 7,3 and 5 months. We are looking at houses in Kemp Town/Queen's Park area.

The one thing that really worries me is parking. I don't want to return from a big supermarket shop and find I have to park any further than my front door- or close enough!

I just wanted to know what people's experiences were? Is it something that really doesn't cause that much of a problem at the end of the day?

What is the closest big supermarket to the area? Where do you do your weekly shop?

Thanks in advance :-)

Oh one more thing can anyone recommend somewhere lovely to live on the outskirts of Brighton with good rail links to London and good schools but still not far from the centre? We are still not decided on a definite place to settle!

MrsWifty Mon 24-Oct-11 21:05:46

Hi, most of Queen's Park and Kemp Town have residents' parking schemes, so that keeps spaces free but I think it's still a bit of a squeeze. I'm in Hanover which doesn't, and although we sometimes have to park in the next road, that doesn't often happen. But that close to the centre it's far easier to get around by foot or our good (if a little pricey) buses - and there's always online supermarket deliveries smile We only use the car for long distance trips as it's a hugely pedestrian-friendly city.

Other than near the two main stations, Hove and Brighton, you might want to look at Preston Park station area, which also includes Withdean. They're more than easy walking distance from the city centre though. Not sure about schools, sorry.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 24-Oct-11 21:12:35

How far on the outskirts were you thinking of? Shoreham is lovely, about 20min drive to the centre of Brighton.

MrsWifty Mon 24-Oct-11 21:16:45

Oh sorry, as to supermarkets, there's loads. Big Asda at Brighton Marina, biggish Sainsbury's off the London and Lewes Road, medium Morrison's on St James's Street, Waitrose on Western Road and a big Tesco in Hove. As well as a squillion local and express stores and Co-Ops. The local paper has done a map here:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/supermarkets/map/

Lily15 Mon 24-Oct-11 22:00:17

Thank you so much for your replies- I really appreciate it.

Will def have a look at Shoreham and I hadnt thought about online supermarket deliveries so thank you!

dilbertina Mon 24-Oct-11 22:04:25

Poynings? No problem parking, 10 mins to central brighton...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now