Wheres good to comfortably breastfeeding in public in brighton?

(13 Posts)
Mammysammy83 Tue 20-Sep-11 15:15:08

does anyone have recommendations for cafes or public places where you can comfortably breastfeed in brighton ???

tortilla Tue 20-Sep-11 15:22:47

I've never had a problem anywhere in Brighton tbh - it's generally a live and let live kind of place. One specific instance of bf friendliness I remember, believe it or not, Gourmet Burger Kitchen in North Laine where they found me the comfiest seat and took my order at the table so that I could feed the baby and not have to deal with her and going to the counter to order. Bill's is a lovely cafe and I have had nothing but good experiences (albeit in their Lewes branch) of them being friendly about it. Chairs not so comfy in Brighton though - a bit cramped.

There are a couple of nice, comfy cafes in the Lanes which I've fed in but I couldn't tell you their names as I just know them by sight rather than name blush - I imagine most would be ok.

And then chain places like Jamie's Italian and Pho and Giraffe have all been fine. Debenhams cafe in the Churchill centre has armchairs and is comfy and nobody has batted an eyelid when I've breastfed. I have fed the baby in Brighton Library too while my toddler went slightly crazy with all the books - they were fine about that smile

privateprancer Tue 20-Sep-11 15:25:14

Jubilee Library in the kids bit - they have comfy sofas there. Starbucks opposite the libary always has loads of mothers & babies in there

privateprancer Tue 20-Sep-11 15:27:51

ooh yes debenhams cafe on top floor very comfy. I love Bills tortilla but the Brighton one especially is very crammed and not breastfeeding friendly chairs

MrsWifty Tue 20-Sep-11 21:45:00

If by comfort you mean physical, then Temptation in the North Laine has sofas at the back, and so does Moksha opposite St Peter's. The foyer at the Dome is a little known gem, acres of buggy space and probably more sofas than chairs. If you don't want to shell out for coffee, the feeding room at the back of Mothercare is good - there's always someone there up for a chat but it can get quite crowded. And while the weather holds, there's always the park in Pelham Square off Trafalgar Street smile

Attitude-wise, as has already been said, everywhere is pretty laid back smile

Mammysammy83 Wed 21-Sep-11 13:33:58

Thanks this is really useful! Have fed a few times in public still feeling bit conscious Am brand new mum and just starting to get used to everything... Has anyone tried the butterfly sling from Faye and Lou? Was thinking muslin or a scarf works just aswell?

privateprancer Wed 21-Sep-11 13:52:01

sorry by comfortable I thought you meant physically comfortable. I really wouldn't worry about it, but if you do feel self conscious a muslin or a scarf will do the trick. (congratulations btw smile

Pixel Wed 21-Sep-11 18:11:26

The first time I fed in public was sitting at a table outside the cafe in the Pavilion gardens and I felt so self-conscious but no one batted an eyelid. In fact I don't think many people even noticed as an older lady came over to coo over the new baby and said "Oh dear I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were feeding him". Boosted my confidence no end! After that I fed ds whenever he needed it and never had a problem at all in Brighton (or anywhere else tbh). My friend even sat down on the floor in NEXT in Churchill Sq and nobody said a word although I don't think I'd go that far.grin

bluecake Wed 21-Sep-11 18:19:12

A muslin works just fine if you want a bit of coverage. TBH I found a fairly loose top and then a cardi worked well together - pulled top up and cardi draped along side of boob so minimal amount was on display. You get good very quickly at latching on discreetly (partly as you get comfier and partly as the baby gets bigger and more experienced), but I wouldn't worry too much as you would only be displaying your nipple for quite a small amount of time anyway and once the baby is latched on you can rearrange your clothing. Good luck - you will be fine, and Brighton is actually a great place to feed in public because really nobody bothers about what other people are doing and loads of women are doing the same anyway smile

Pixel Wed 21-Sep-11 18:23:24

Meant to say that about cardigans! Much less obvious and fiddly. smile

Mammysammy83 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:08:48

Thanks very much for all advice it has given me a lot of reassurance and confidence baby on 5 weeks so still getting used to everything... I havent tried pulling top up think may be more discreet so will try that !

MrsWifty Fri 23-Sep-11 22:40:53

Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it!

One more piece of out and about advice - when tackling the hell that is Churchill Square, use the lifts in BHS or Debenhams, much quicker than the main ones!

nettlefairy Sun 09-Oct-11 18:54:33

I found a lightweight black wool poncho was a really useful feeding tool - kept it in the buggy, put in on when I needed to feed my dd and was able to move her about with comfort and discretion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now