Anyone taken their baby to LittleDippers swimming classes?

(6 Posts)
Devonlover Thu 21-Jul-11 15:40:10

Hi there

Has anyone done the Little Dippers swimming course for young babies? I'm thinking of signing up, as it sounds fun and good exercise for my DS (and maybe me), but it's really expensive (I think so anyway - £120 for 6 weeks) and I wondered whether it was worth it?

The main benefits are (apart from the exercise angle, which I'm hoping will help with his sleep) that it gets babies used to water at an early age, so that swimming lessons later on are much easier. It's also relaxing for them, and I guess a nice thing to do.

Anyone done this and got any thoughts? Personally, I'm wondering whether I can just take DS to the swimming baths for £3 in a few months time and teach him myself.

Thanks!

Pixel Sat 23-Jul-11 22:21:09

It's been a few years since I've been to baby swimming but I used to live 5 mins walk from the King Alfred so took ds to the Ducklings classes there. It wasn't expensive and the babies enjoyed it. Ds was getting on well with kicking his legs and going under water happily, learnt to hold on to the side, climb in and out etc and it was all made fun with nursery rhymes.

Pixel Sat 23-Jul-11 22:22:24

And yes, he did sleep well afterwards! smile

katiecubs Sun 24-Jul-11 10:04:18

hi i did the first 3 courses at little dippers and really liked it. my son loved it too and i would have kept going had it not been for the cost and the fact i went back to work. It is very expensive but such a lovely thing to do with a baby. there is another similar course you can do called flippers and fins which is cheaper (£80 or £90 i think) in patcham x

maiacam Sun 24-Jul-11 15:48:56

Hi

Personally i did it with my first child but didn't with my second. Both of my children are now county swimmers but I don't believe it helped as my first hated being submerged. I enrolled them at a swimming course at the king alfred when they were old enough and would recommend that x

Devonlover Mon 25-Jul-11 15:25:02

Thanks everyone, some v helpful suggestions. Pixel, I looked up the Ducklings course at King Alfreds, they still do these but for 6 months plus - will definitely sign him up in a couple of months time. I think it's only £4 a time so very reasonable.
In the meantime, I'm going to go for the Little Dippers course, and see it as a bit of a summer treat. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll let you know what it's like.
Ta x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now