Home Births - what's the deal?!

(9 Posts)
Skylars Mon 13-Jun-11 20:17:31

Hi there, I've recently moved to Brighton with my partner and son (4 yrs). I had a hospital birth with my DS which was pretty traumatic and now that I'm pregnant again (due in Sept) I'm really keen this time to do it at home...

I know you can attend HB groups however I'm totally maxed out with work right now and often get back late, or have my DS to look after, hence this post...

Can anyone give me any kind of insight into HB's within Brighton, how equipped the midwives are with dealing with this, is there much of a battle/problems with staffing etc? Or purely just giving an insight on any experiences you may have had?

My appt's with the the midwives are normally so rushed and few that a) I don't feel reassured that we're going to get the opportunity to discuss this and b) I'm slightly worried that time is going to fly and before I know it I'll be in full blown labour without a clue as to how this works!

thanks

Zoidberg Thu 16-Jun-11 19:32:02

In short, midwives are very supportive of homebirth in Btn&Hove. Tell yours that's what you want to do, if you change your mind on the day that's fine. I had a very good experience, very unintrusive midwife for the labour. If you can attend the 2 hour midwife talk they offer once a month, I very much recommend it.

I had someother issues e.g. not enough good support for breastfeeding soon enough but once discovered the breastfeeding counsellors they were fantastic. Possibly because of homebirth, I felt maybe treated like I knew more than I did.

For homebirth you need to get in as much or as little kit as you like but they will give you a leaflet explaining the minimum they need. I had a birthpool which I loved, really worked for me.

Other than that is no different from homebirth elsewhere. I read tonnes about homebirth online and felt very prepared and it was as good as it was going to be. Good luck.

Skylars Thu 16-Jun-11 21:29:52

Thanks. Will definitely look into the talks - haven't heard about this as yet so thank you smile

SamsGoldilocks Fri 24-Jun-11 13:59:29

I've had two home births and think that in principle the midwives here are very supportive, but you should at least tell them as soon as possible so thatthey know what you're planning. They have a handy leaflet about the things you need to know, what things you need at home and what will happen if things don't go to plan. The midwife sessions are for you to find out what YOU need to know so write a list of questions, try not to get diverted by peeing on a stick and ask those questions.

Personally, it worked well for me and i felt you got a lot of support when in labour as they can't get distracted by other soon-to-be mothers.

10isenough Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:37

I live in Hove and I'm also quite seriously considering a home birth for my third due in October. My midwife actually suggested it (probably because DD2 was an incredibly quick labour with birth outside the hospital basically unassisted). I dismissed her suggestion initially but as time is going on I'm beginning to realise that it might be a much less scary and stressful option. I love the sound of DH being able to stay with us and having a cup of tea and a bath in my own home then going to sleep only to be woken by my own dc.
I'd really love to speak to someone who's had a home birth recently in the area. The 2 hour talk sounds great Zoidberg - who organises them and where?
On the main site a few people have recommended http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ which looks good but like Skylars I'd like to have some info which is specific to the area.

Zoidberg Wed 29-Jun-11 11:10:44

A midwife organises the talks at the Hollingdean children's centre once a month. Or at least that's what it was 2 years ago when I went. I was told about it by my community midwife in Hove (Conway court) when discussing it with her. It was packed, you need to book in advance. Prospective Dads and Mums were there and they had two new parents telling their homebirth stories.

These are contact details for that children's centre I just got off the council web site:
Telephone: (01273) 295623
Email: hollingdeancc@brighton-hove.gov.uk

I'd really recommend it, being in your own home can make you feel more relaxed and therefore more able to keep the pain at bay! There is a video of me on a TV website telling my birth story, if you'd like to see it PM me as I don't want to totally out myself. Or if you'd like to meet for a coffee and a chat then we could do that, I love talking about homebirth and am a mine of information grin

SamsGoldilocks Wed 29-Jun-11 21:54:12

And one of my neighbours did the talk about her recent home birth!

It is a really great option especially the tea and toast in bed afterwards and DH/DP being able to stay the whole time.

Sometimes they can't provide the cover necessary for a home birth, but so long as you're not due around a full moon you should be ok grin

pinkhebe Sat 02-Jul-11 17:52:59

I had a homebirth 8 years ago, the midwives are really up for it IME, I had an experienced midwife and a student throughout my labour, unfortunatly it went tits up and I was blue lighted into the Royal Sussex, but my midwife stayed with me throughout, as an extra voice and then visited me during the week after grin

Lovely experience

Heinoushierachy Tue 19-Jul-11 13:11:24

Hi Zoidberg - am trying to figure out how to PM you (?!) as I'd love to see the vid. I've been checking out a few which have all seemed really positive which has re-inforced my reasons for wanting it. Is there any chance you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the link? Thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now