Could anyone near Great Barr help me please?

(17 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 12-Oct-17 21:09:45

Hi

I'm coming to Birmingham for an NEC show next weekend and the ladies of the group are at a loose end all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

We'd like to do something other than shopping, although that is an option! Not over keen on going to the Bull Ring. We go every year to the NEC at this time, so we've done it plenty of times. We fancy getting our hair done and maybe afternoon tea somewhere? Is that even possible?

If anyone's got any ideas of anything really, I'd be most greatful!

Thanks

KingsHeathen Fri 13-Oct-17 01:47:12

Great Barr isn't near the NEC, I'm afraid, and I don't think it would have anywhere suitable for afternoon tea!
By "next weekend" do you mean 14/15th, or the one after,? It's just that lots of roads are closed on 15th for the half marathon.

FAkenameforthis Fri 13-Oct-17 12:45:29

Does it have to be Great Barr? It’s not an area that people chose to go to generally... how about going into Solihull?

Mummypower92 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:12:06

I’m not sure where you could get afternoon tea and your hair done but what about the mailbox? You can go to the spa at the cube or go for afternoon tea near there x

TheHandmaidsTail Fri 13-Oct-17 15:54:22

You're not far from Sutton there if you have transport? Plenty of afternoon teas around.

You could go straight down Queslett Road to Sutton Park, again placard to eat there.

TheHandmaidsTail Fri 13-Oct-17 15:55:34

Actually if you're at the NEC on the Saturday night, go to Resorts world for shopping, drinks etc

MaureenMLove Fri 13-Oct-17 16:09:32

Thank you all. We don't need to go to the NEC. The husbands go there to work a stand for the weekend and then come back to the hotel in the evenings.

We usually stay at the Prem Inn at Hockley Heath, so we've been to Solihull shopping lots of times. We have transport, so can travel.

We've been doing this every year for about 6 or 7 years, but don't seem to be able to 'do' anything other than shopping! We can never seen to get our shit together! And as you can see, we go next weekend, 20th October, having known all year were going and still we've organised nothing!! grin

Hair and afternoon tea was just an option. I can't think of anything we could actually do. Maybe we'll head to The Mailbox and find something there. Even a little bimble down the canal and maybe lunch in a pub will do. We are woman of few needs, but with a few pennies to spend. We set ourselves a little savings pot this year, which was a start.

FAkenameforthis Fri 13-Oct-17 16:11:32

From Hockley Heath you can be in Stratford, Warwick or Coventry really easily. Any of them appealing? Are you NT members, there are two houses on the edge of Hockley Heath.

Sutton Coldfield or Litchfield are nice to visit.

FAkenameforthis Fri 13-Oct-17 16:12:34

I’m confused where Great Barr came from as that’s the other side of the city and a bit shit

MaureenMLove Fri 13-Oct-17 18:56:30

Lol! It was the only Prem Inn we could get into this year! Lots going on at e NEC. There's loads of us going and to be fair, it's not about the location so much as the fun we have with friends from all over the country and Europe. The Saturday night restaurant trip is the highlight of the weekend to be honest.

It a tried and tested yearly trip. I know it's only 20 or 30 mins from centre of Birmingham, so it's all OK. Boys disappear off to the NEC at about 8am both mornings to show case their thing and we (4 of us) have until about 8pm to do whatever we chose. Others may chose to join us or have their own plans. It's chilled.

BackforGood Fri 13-Oct-17 23:57:18

What about booking a BBC Tour Here That is in the Mailbox, where there are zillions of places to eat and you can shop too if you are minted.
Or you could walk to the Art Gallery from there, which is nice and has an Edwardian Tearoom and / or visit the new Library (which is a lot more exciting than it sounds wink )

BackforGood Fri 13-Oct-17 23:58:18

You are close to Brindley place there too which has lots of nice eateries and bars, and is by the canalside so you could do a BBC tour inthe morning then go on a canl boat trip in the afternoon.

MaureenMLove Sat 14-Oct-17 09:06:26

That sounds good Backforgood! Thanks for your help everyone.

Rogue1234 Sat 14-Oct-17 16:19:47

Sutton isn't far from Great Barr - I did a fab spa day and afternoon tea at New Hall Hotel once. Bit pricey but maybe you could call and see if they have any deals on?

You could also get similar at Resorts World if you did fancy heading up towards the NEC.

KingsHeathen Sat 14-Oct-17 22:55:48

What about seeing something at the rep, or the hippodrome, or even the electric cinema?

Thishatisnotmine Sun 15-Oct-17 20:15:37

How about the Jewellery Quarter? Nive Bars, cafes and restaurants, and have a browse at the jewellery.

OneInEight Mon 23-Oct-17 08:22:27

How about watching the greyhound racing. Never been but used to drive past the stadium on my way to work every morning (actually may be Perry Barr rather than Great Barr). The Bistro in Sutton Park does lovely food but is very popular especially on Sunny days. Boathouse is usually much quieter but not as nice imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now