Parking at the NIA

(7 Posts)
Trubblebubble Thu 13-Nov-14 22:49:48

I'm planning on bringing my daughter to a concert at the NIA in a couple of weeks & could do with some advice about parking. I'm not from the area & will have a 2 hour drive to get there & am in a bit of a tiz about driving in an unfamiliar city centre on my own, in the dark & having no clue where to park. Can anyone help with any suggestions? I haven't actually booked the tickets yet & worrying about this is starting to put me off, which is a shame as this surprise would make my DDs year!

MNBirminghamLocalEd Fri 14-Nov-14 11:25:27

Oh don't lose heart! I understand your anxiety as some cities have awful signposting, and I was worried when I first drove into Birmingham on the A38, which takes you through three tunnels. But it would be such a shame to let that stop you coming. As long as you're prepared it should be fine smile.

Have you looked at this?

www.thenia.co.uk/travel/car

If you have a satnav it should be really easy, as they talk you through which lane you should be in etc. If not, maybe borrow one for the night?

Once you've parked (I usually go to King Edwards Road, behind the huge new library) there are lots of signposts telling you where to go and in my experience you just follow the stream of other people (the theatre-goers are v easy to spot).

Why don't you get there early and have something to eat at Brindley Place first - then you've built in lots of time for traffic/mistakes and you won't be so stressed. Brindley Place is great - Handmade Burger Co, Carluccios and Cafe Rouge are very easy for a relaxed bite to eat. www.brindleyplace.com/category/restaurants/ You can park at Brindley Place too.

Hope that helps a little? I'm sure you'll have a great time. wine

MNBirminghamLocalEd Fri 14-Nov-14 11:28:42

OR, as the German Christmas market is on (http://local.mumsnet.com/birmingham/christmas/337787-birminghams-german-market), come in by train in the morning, browse the market during the day (hot chocolate, gluwein and bratwurst), find somewhere for an early supper before the NIA performance.

MUCH more relaxing! (and fun!)

Trubblebubble Sat 15-Nov-14 19:45:38

I'm committed! I've bought the tickets so Ill have to manage. If I could get in the daylight I'd be less concerned but its a Thursday. I'll be at work & my daughter at school so I'll only have a couple of hours to get there from north nottinghamshire & it'll be rush hour as well. But it's a very special treat for the fantastic comments she got at parents evening. I'm taking her to see demi lovato who is her absolute idol. I'm sure it will be worth the stress to see her face when she realises who we're going to see!

MNBirminghamLocalEd Sat 15-Nov-14 21:09:48

What a lovely treat! Hope it goes smoothly and you both have a fantastic time.

Trubblebubble Fri 28-Nov-14 01:42:05

Thank you so much for the tips. Parked very easily at brindley place, wandered around the market, dinner at cafe rouge before the concert tonight. Wouldn't have had a clue without your input. Hugely appreciated thanks xx

MNBirminghamLocalEd Sun 30-Nov-14 16:06:07

Oh fab! Glad we could help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now