What do parents do all day with their little ones?

(7 Posts)
Becktoria Tue 02-Aug-11 18:52:34

Hi there,
I'm moving to Kings Heath in 4 weeks from Berlin and really looking forward to it.
My DD will be 2 in October and at the moment we go out twice a day for a total of between 4 and 5 hours (we live in a flat, so no garden). When we went house hunting the other week, I noticed there weren't many parks about.
What do you all do to keep your toddlers entertained all day? (if they're not at nursery).
Where I live there are so many kids around, a park on every corner (literally), little farms (one is 200m from our flat), cafes with playrooms.... and it's all free. I'm getting a bit worried I'm gonna be playing in the garden on my own with my little one!
I've never been a parent in the UK, so it's kind of gonna be a new experience for me.
Any tips on regular playgroups going on in KH, or parks where people always go would be great. It's nice if you can see the same faces a couple of times a week, and good for the kids to make friends.

cheers me dears smile

chocoroo Tue 02-Aug-11 19:09:03

I believe, although I'm not certain, that Birmingham has more green space per head than any other city in the UK.

There's loads of parks in Kings Heath, including one with lovely tea rooms, and depending on where a bouts you are in KH you could be walking distance from Canon Hill Park which is huge with loads going on at the Mac (again, good cake) including a baby friendly cinema screening, art classes etc.

I'm in Cotteridge which is just down the road from KH, and on a weekly basis I do Buggy Fit in Bournville, Baby Sensory in Bournville and swimming in Shirley. My DD is only 5.5months though so I think with your 2yo you'll be able to do more cheap stuff like playgroups as your DD is bigger than mine. Off the top of my head I know there's also baby yoga and Rhythm Time classes in your new area,

Feel free to PM me if you want a local guide, I'm off work until November.

Becktoria Wed 03-Aug-11 07:12:05

Thanks chocoroo. I was really impressed with how green b'ham is, and it's way prettier than where I live now. There are lots of parks, but I meant play parks for kids, where people meet up. My 2 year old needs swings and slides etc.
But come to think of it, it'll be getting to Autumn when we're over so I think playgroups would be more my option anyway, but we still need some outdoor space to run around in too.
I'll look into some playgroups. Any idea where they're advertised?
thanks again.

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Wed 03-Aug-11 07:19:00

There are two nice parks in Kings Heath (Highbury, at the Moseley end, and Kings Heath park, which is off Vicarage Road). In Moseley next door to KH there is a private park to which you can rent a key and Cannon Hill Park which also has a Nature Centre and the Modlands Arts Centre with loads going on. There is a soft play near Homebase and lots of child-friendly cafes - try The Garden Cafe on York Road and Manic Organic on Poplar Road which is also practically next to a lovely independent toyshop. PM me if you like. You'll love Kings Heath!

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Wed 03-Aug-11 07:19:33

Modlands = Midlands!

onebigyawn Thu 04-Aug-11 17:25:35

There are loads of playgroups in KH although most are term time only. There is a great one behind the bapist church on KH high street (opp Asda), that runs 3 mornings a week (Mon, Tues and Fri) and is lovely and very welcoming. The soft play place is great too although I would not go during the school holidays as it gets packed!
KH park is lovely and has 2 great play areas (swings, climbing frame and a new zip slide that the kids are going mad for) as well as loads of free activities that are on during the summer. Cannon Hill Park is fab too and mine love the nature centre.

It's a great place for kids smile

Becktoria Fri 05-Aug-11 07:40:26

that's great. I'll check out the one by asda, I'm not far from there. And the parks sound good too. Sounds like we'll have plenty to keep up going over winter smile Maybe see you there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now