Choosing Frimley or Wexham for maternity-help

(5 Posts)
HatOnline Mon 22-Jun-15 19:03:15

Hi
I wondered if anyone would be able to share advice/experience on maternity units at Wexham Park Hospital or Frimley. I've automatically been enrolled for Wexham for a December due date, but I had an appalling experience with ward 20 and an ectopic last year sad. With this pregnancy time the EPU were more caring and no mistakes unlike last time.
I'm aware that is a totally different ward and that Frimley are now supporting Wexham through special measures to recover from the bad cqc inspection. Does anyone have any positives or negatives on either hospital as I can request to transfer my mat care to Frimley but ought to do so for twenty week scan(15weeks now) thanks so much really appreciate any opinions!

RedKiteMaidenhead Thu 16-Jul-15 23:19:48

I used Frimley for my latest pregnancy (DD born in March this year), after a not brilliant experience in 2014 with a mc at Wexham - the staff were lovely and kind, but it was such an ordeal: waiting 5 hours for a bed, waiting ages to be discharged, no follow-up, no communication between gynae and the EPU when I returned for my check-up...
I was born at Frimley myself, and my parents live round the corner.
The maternity suite has recently been overhauled - the main delivery suite is lovely, and the new birth centre looks amazing from the pictures (didn't get to use it myself). There was a certain amount of 'clucking' at some appointments that I was out of area, and a bit of to and fro between my community midwife at my local GP (linked to Wexham) and the staff at Frimley, because of course nothing is on the same system (even after the takeover, this is going to take some time). Things like blood results, etc., were a bit of a nuisance, and I ended up having blood taken more times than necessary just to keep both sides happy.
The antenatal clinic at Frimley is insanely busy, so be prepared to be waiting a long time when you have appointments, especially for consultants.
I was induced in the end (which saved the worry about getting there in time!), and all the care I received was excellent. Everything I had written into my birth plan was considered. The postnatal ward was a bit of a jungle as always, but I managed to get out 12 hours after delivery.

Hussarsataparty Wed 22-Jul-15 08:32:55

I had all 3 kids at Frimley - breech delivery, planned section and emergency section. A weekend birth, midweek planned admission, and middle of the night dash to theatre. They were fan-bloody-tastic every time, and I can't think of a single complaint - even the food was good. I too was out of area for the last one due to boundary changes rather than moving house.
Frimley all the way for me.

HatOnline Wed 22-Jul-15 17:43:59

Thank you so much for your replies. I've gone for Frimley_although it took a month for my surgery to send the referral. Thanks for your input

Hussarsataparty Wed 22-Jul-15 18:03:16

Good luck - hope it all goes well for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now