How to find about kids out of school clubs / activities

(9 Posts)
tiredallthetime33 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:18:50

So, still mulling over moving to Belfast. Have looked into schools and found lots of information. One thing I am having trouble finding info on is clubs / activities for children outside of school. Things like sports clubs or scouts. Is there a website or resource with this type of info?

BelfastLocalEditor Wed 25-Oct-17 22:15:20

When I moved back to Belfast I found the school had free after-school clubs and some sports stuff which was a pleasant surprise. I also googled local churches for GB, Guides etc and asked around. It was fairly easy and not half as expensive as where I used to live.

If you move you will make new contacts in the area and when the kids mix you'll find out a lot more. It all fell into place fairly easily.
I'm not sure about a database of information but hopefully someone else may know if there is.

tiredallthetime33 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:00:07

Thanks, just thought I'd ask to see if there was anything. Was just getting a bit concerned about DC making friends locally. I spoke to headteacher of a primary in Belfast who explained that they don't have catchment areas anymore and they have children attending their school from a fair distance outside Belfast. So that started me thinking about clubs locally. I just worry too much!

BelfastLocalEditor Fri 27-Oct-17 14:52:39

Yes, the catchment thing isn't as prevalent here, you would of course get a school place much easier if it was a popular school and you lived beside it but otherwise kids come from everywhere. I have to admit I haven't quite worked out the logic of it all !
As to the main point, my DD has made friends in school with kids from different areas and they have sleepovers. I find with the after schools and homework they're quite busy - I think no matter where you are, you'll always worry about the kids !

moreCyclingMoreCake Fri 27-Oct-17 19:58:37

www.scoutsni.com is the main website for Scouting NI. In NI the organisations run from age 4 (Squirrels) up to 18 (Explorer Scouts)

If you want to join a group, you drop an email to the relevant age group contact on the site and they'll pass on your enquiry onto your local group.

I've found Netmums local directory very handy for stuff like this. It's very well laid out and has loads of info and categories.

tiredallthetime33 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:50:53

Thanks BelfastLocalEditor, it's good to know your DD has made friends easily. Thanks moreCycling, I found some interesting stuff on those websites

puppydogmummy Wed 01-Nov-17 07:33:13

Have you tried your local library? You’ll likely find they run clubs for kids. I work in Shankill area our library is fab it has art club and coding club. Also check out any art centres or community centres too. I work in the Arts so obviously I’m biased that way but there are lots of sports activity clubs too at often free or low prices. If you’re happy letting me know what area you moving too maybe I could help you look?

Partyof7 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:22:46

Puppydogmummy I live in the greater shankill area. I had no idea about a coding club...will definitely look further into this!

tiredallthetime33 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:29:41

I had found the libraries ni website, thanks @puppydogmummy. There does seem to be good activities in the libraries. We're looking at South and East Belfast to move to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now