Relocating to Biggleswade

(12 Posts)
ClareLL Sat 20-Sep-14 09:41:36

Hello,

We are moving out of London with our nearly 2 year old and Biggleswade seems to tick a lot of boxes for us. My husband will be commuting back to London daily. If anyone has any tips and advice it would be greatly appreciated! Areas to avoid, good primary schools, easy to meet other Mums?

Thank you! x

taxi4ballet Sat 20-Sep-14 19:49:22

Train or car commute?

There are a lot of nice villages surrounding Biggleswade too.

NicD12 Sat 20-Sep-14 20:12:20

Hello Clare.

I'm also moving to Biggleswade this autumn. So I can't really provide any advice on the area.
I have a 2 year old daughter.
I will be watching this thread with interest

BedfordshireSarah Mon 22-Sep-14 14:00:57

Hiya

I have linked to this thread on our facebook page so hopefully it will reach a few more people.

https://www.facebook.com/MumsnetBedfordshire

Sarah

JaneDMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Sep-14 14:57:12

Hello, I live in Biggleswade so fire away with your questions smile

DH commutes to Canary Wharf every day, there are fast trains (28 mins direct to Kings x) during the morning rush hour and a few during evening rush hour. Season ticket is v expensive. We live just a short walk from the station so don't need to park, but I have friends who find parking around streets closeby.

I have a 4 year old DS who attends Lawns nursery which was rated Outstanding by Ofsted at its last inspection. It's a forest school and just wonderful. They get them outside every day: den building, mud kitchens, growing things etc. So lucky to have it on our doorstep. Also have a 16 month old DD and there are toddler groups on most days, in fact every day I think there is something. Not tried many, but the group on a Friday is nice - really friendly - and rhyme time at the library 3 x week is also good. We don't go anymore as DD is more interested in walking around pulling books off shelves!

Both mine have swimming lessons at the local pool and DS has started football. Have also noticed dance and music classes for primary school children in the town.

Town is fine. It's not St Albans or Hitchin, or indeed a pretty village, but that is reflected in house prices! There are a few nice restaurants (independent) and bars, a fantastic independent gym, farmers market once a month. Oh and also a bingo hall! There are a lot of charity shops, hairdressers and take aways. That said, there is a lot of investment in the area, which can only be a good thing.

Hope that helps

NicD12 Sun 05-Oct-14 18:35:44

Anyone on here a runner or know of any running clubs in Biggleswade?

Hmilner06 Wed 22-Oct-14 23:19:31

Hi nicD12 there's a runners club called the red lion runners we meet at the red lion pub every Tuesday at 7pm we are on Facebook,I also run on a Thursday if I'm not at the gym.

Hmilner06 Wed 22-Oct-14 23:22:55

With out a doubt the lawns nursery is the best,excellent by ofsted. I adopted a little boy nearly a year and a half a go he had some issues but they got him a play therapist and he's doing good now.he's 4 now and moved on but they gave him a great start.

tiote Thu 20-Nov-14 17:24:29

I moved to Sandy, one stop further on the train line, after Biggleswade and we are happy with our life here. House prices brought us here too.
There is a lovely place in BIggleswade called The courtyard centre for healthy living with yoga classes and so on and a toddler yoga class. My son goes to a Montessori school in Gamlingay (if you drive, no problem) and if you want more shops, you can go to Bedford. More big brands will come to Biggleswade when the new shopping centre will be open. I'm also a volunteer for the local NCT so have a look online as we will welcome new members! In Sandy, the best areas are near Laburnum school or near the river. Laburnum seems to be the best school in Sandy. And the high school gets the best results in all Bedfordshire!
There are quite a few after-school clubs and some very good parents-toddlers group like Biggleswade Babes.

Gawjushun Mon 24-Nov-14 01:44:29

I'm glad this thread is here! Currently renting in lovely Hitchin, but hoping to buy in six months or so, and the town is getting ridiculously expensive. Plus I feel Hitchin is getting a bit too... up it's own ass? Pretentious maybe? I have a few friends in Biggleswade, although none of them have children, so it's nice to get opinions from those with families.

I think Biggleswade is quite an up and coming area. Let's just all keep it a secret til we've brought our houses. wink

tiote Wed 26-Nov-14 16:49:14

Lol! I think too that the area is up and coming with many new businesses. I hope we will have a train connection between Sandy and Cambridge in the near future too.

NicD12 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:19:10

Hello all,
I've been in Biggleswade just over a week & really happy.
I was wondering if anyone fancied trying to meet up?
Hmilner06, I wouldn't be able to make evenings as my husband works late and abroad a lot. I can always manage a Sunday though .
Nic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now