Relocating/MOVING from London need DIVERSE city/town in Bedfordshire within 30-40min to South Hertfordshire

(7 Posts)
YumMum2013 Wed 09-Oct-13 03:53:44

Greetings All,

I am in need of some assistance please, as I’m relocating from SWLondon to Hertfordshire for work but don’t want to live in the same borough I work in. I’m aiming to be 30-40min car drive from South Hertfordshire area to a large, diverse family friendly city/town and am considering Bedfordshire.

Key requirements: ETHNICALLY diverse population, OUTSTANDING SCHOOLS secondary schools AND nursery’s, good local amenities ie. fitness centre, dance classes, shopping etc., easy links to London (via train and car), affordable housing (will begin by renting hope to buy within few years’ time).

I know I’m probably asking for a lot but I LOVE a lot of things about London and am a city girl at heart but also really appreciate lots of green open space for hikes, bike rides etc. I like new build modern houses and amenities and convenience of one stop shopping but also love a good market place.

Areas I’m considering are LUTON as I've been there few times, know it's quite diverse and has good housing rental prices but what else can you share with me about Luton, the pros&cons???

Thanks in advance any assistance greatly appreciated, this is keeping me up at night as move needs to occur within the next month or so.

Ellbell79 Wed 09-Oct-13 15:06:36

I moved from sw london to Biggleswade in Bedfordshire a couple of months ago- its a small town so huge adjustment! To be honest it probably doesn't have most of what you asked for but does have an outstanding nursery and 2000 new builds being built. Otherwise you could consider bedford or maybe st neots which are bigger and more likely to tick off more of your boxes.If you would reconsider Hertfordshire then hitchin is lovely and there are lots of people in a similar position who have moved there from london.Goodluck!

YumMum2013 Thu 10-Oct-13 23:38:51

Thanks very much for your input! I'll have a look at Bedford

laralou28 Mon 13-Jan-14 15:51:47

Hi,
I strongly advise against Luton it's gone downhill the past few years and not a very nice place at all. Bedford is a good option for what your looking for
X

purrr Wed 22-Jan-14 23:00:52

Hi I am moving from London to Bedford but not sure which area to move to I have been looking all round and Biggleswade was one area I was looking at also Putnoe and Elstow can you tell me which is the better one. Did you find it easy to adapt?

CarineBabyCalm Tue 11-Feb-14 14:11:09

HI purr

moving from London too in a few months. We found a house in Sandy!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 11-Feb-14 14:15:32

We live in leighton buzzard which is nice and has lots going on, but I wouldn't describe it as ethnically diverse. I would avoid Luton, it's pretty grim IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now