!!! High level of Radon in Bath !!! - Let's discuss

(6 Posts)
MelissaLee Thu 09-Nov-17 01:01:36

Bath has a high level of Radon. For those who don't know, Radon is a gas which if people are exposed to it for long enough can develop lung cancer.
I am running a survey as I wanted to get the opinion of mothers and fathers in Bath. We currently don't have a public service for people to check the levels of Radon in their homes.
If any of you have just a bit of time, would you be able to answer some questions? It would be really good help!! Not just for me but for our children:

Did you know that you live in a place with a high level of radon?
If so, are you worried about it?
Did you have the house you live in assessed for radon levels?
Has it affected your insurance premiums when looking for home or health insurance?

Chrys2017 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:24:56

I was sent some kind of radon testing kit about 15 years ago when I lived on New King Street, which I duly carried out and sent off and it was found to be below the danger levels. I haven't thought about it since.
And no, I have never been asked a question about radon when applying for home or travel (or medical) insurance.
Apparently the testing kit costs £50 from UK Radon—I might get it done in my new place just to see...

MelissaLee Thu 09-Nov-17 18:02:42

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's really interesting!
how was your experience to use radon testing kit?
and also was it from bath local government? did you ask them first or they sent you? how was experience was it clear?

Spindelina Thu 09-Nov-17 18:14:54

Yes (though these things are relative)
No
No
No

Chrys2017 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:23:52

I honestly can't remember. It was at least 15 years ago and it isn't something I would have initiated, so the test kit and subsequent report would have been sent to me, presumably by some government agency or research group.

All it involved was putting some devices they sent into certain locations in my home and then leaving them there for three months and then sending them back to the company.

Now today, after paying £50 for a test kit for my new abode I've discovered there is a company that will do it for free (aargh!). Too late for me but if anyone wants to contact them:
www.envirovent.com/home-ventilation/blog/how-to-protect-your-home-against-radon/

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 12:45:50

Radon detectors now installed. I have to leave them for three months. I will report back...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now