Commuting from Bath to ???

(8 Posts)
cowbiscuits74 Fri 12-Sep-14 19:36:06

Hello All

We are moving back to the UK after living overseas for several years. We don't have jobs lined up (eek!) so can pick pretty much anywhere we like that fits in with our criteria.

Bath is joint-top of our list right now in terms of living but does not seem to have as many employment prospects as say Bristol. Google Maps says it is 12 minutes by train and 30-40 minutes by road from Bath to Bristol centre which is not too bad if this is the case.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this on a daily basis in all weathers? Any other towns/cities we could commute to within an hour?

We could of course just move to Bristol but from what I have read could spend the same amount of time just getting from one side to another if you happen to live in one location for schools but work in another part of Bristol.

Thanks

LocalEditorBath Sat 13-Sep-14 11:28:45

Hello cowbiscuits

We moved from London to the SW for DHs work. We rented in Bristol, as it was convenient for his work, but after 9months we left Bristol due to the schools being terrible. I don't know if this situation has changed as this was about 6 yrs ago.

He has to commute by car, as he is based at the wrong end of Bristol for the train station.

At first the commute did get to him. He went from cycling to driving and found it difficult. Now its not so bad as he does a lift share with a couple of colleagues and he says as long as he has music and drinks, its not so bad!

Transport links are good in Bath, close to the motorway and I know a few people who commute to London. I guess its like lots of life changes, you get used to them and learn to make the most of it.

I'm sure the above isn't very helpful! But I wanted to say hello and let you know that lots of us have been in your position and it hasn't turned out too badly grin

cowbiscuits74 Tue 16-Sep-14 03:23:16

Hi
Thanks for replying, you picked up on my worries. I of course want to get it right as will be hard enough on the kids (my sheltered bumpkin island babies) without moving schools again once we know where jobs will be. The Bristol forum is polarized from ' schools are terrible/you will never get in' to 'schools getting better/there are good ones' which is making us hesitate to move there but we expect jobs will be there. Of course we are trying to have our cake and eat it so to speak in terms of good school, nice place to live, jobs and easy commute - something has to give and of those I would choose a crappy commute over a crappy school any day. But hopefully won't come to that.

Anyone else live in Bath and commute to Bristol or elsewhere?

fromeah Tue 16-Sep-14 15:04:51

I didn't commute, but used to have to travel regularly into Bristol from Bath for work. The traffic is vile, and the train is quick, but as LEB says, Temple Meads isn't in the most handy place. Of course it all depends on what work you are doing, but a lot of jobs are Clifton way and that's difficult by train and has parking issues. In all honesty, I'd rather live in Bath and work in London. Or indeed Swindon.

Having said all of that, there are lots of jobs in Bath these days (in some sectors at least) so living and working there may not be that difficult.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Sep-14 21:06:07

I live just outside of Bath (20 minutes or so) in a rural village.
Great schools around here (can only vouch for primary thus far) and I commute to London a few days a week.

Lots of my friends live here and work in Bristol, it's actually a BS postcode but physically closer to Bath so do look outside if you can. Bath is beautiful and the trains are very regular to and from Bristol, as are the buses, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

JohnnyBarthes Sat 27-Sep-14 19:02:24

fromeah many moons ago I used to commute from central Bath to Clifton, catching the train to Temple Meads and then another train to Clifton Downs station. Is that still doable?

woodymorgan Tue 02-Dec-14 06:20:47

Hi cowbiscuits, I am in the same situation as you - moving back next summer after 14 years away, now with 2 children (5 & 9). We are torn b/w Oxford and Bath (Bristol was on the list too for a while) but trying to work out schools-areas-jobs but struggling to decide which one comes first?! The stresses of moving home seem to be a full time job right now and we still have months to go!
Would love to hear how you get on as I start that same journey home...
Good luck!

cowbiscuits74 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:46:19

Hi woodymorgan thanks - there is so much to think about isn't there, you cannot start to research and plan too early, almost everyday we are thinking of something new to look into or do or put on the ever growing list, I have even created a sharepoint site just to manage it all!

Have decided to focus on Bristol, as lovely as Bath is the job prospects for us there do not seem to be as good as in Bristol. Now looking at North Bristol, the villages and market towns.

Will PM you some more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now