Moving to Frome - tips on schools, nurseries and all things kiddie very welcome!

(36 Posts)
Lexingtonlala Thu 01-Sep-11 22:27:45

Hello! We are moving to Frome and I was wondering if anyone could offer us some insider information, as it were, on things like primary schools, nurseries and toddler groups. I have two boys: a four year old starting school next week and a 16 month old.

I feel nervous about moving my family - especially the four year old at such a key time. Any advice, tips, local knowledge and so on would be really helpful. Are there any schools/nurseries I should avoid? Are there any regular toddler groups? Frome does seem like such a friendly, family sort of place.

Thanks for your help!

Jellybean2016 Fri 25-Mar-16 00:07:11

Lol! Dog poo and white ppl, gotcha.

HanIAm Thu 24-Mar-16 22:45:24

Sorry to add a negative about Frome, but we have just sold up and are heading back to London after living here for two years.

We find Frome a bit grim. There is absolutely no cultural diversity at all which we find very depressing, odd and just wrong! There is also no grittiness to the place, it feels flat and twee.

The fact that Frome came in The Times top 10 coolest places to live in England is just laughable! It is full of young yobs (60%), wannabe cool 35-50 year olds (15%) and OAP artsy people making and selling naff jewellery (25%). And everyone is white!
There is nothing cool or arty about the place ; the 'art scene' is pretty much as I said, old ladies making and selling naff jewellery!

There are two nice streets and they sell overpriced, useless items. There really isn't much to Frome and I urge you to consider areas like Bristol?

Sorry to be really negative, but don't move here thinking it's going to be just lovely!

Unfortunately we moved from London two years ago and prices there have gone crazy, so we have to move down the property ladder. But we have found an area (Leytonstone) where prices are not too bad. We cannot wait to move!

Just as an add, there is dog poo EVERYWHERE in Frome, no one ever picks it up, droves us mad!!

Jellybean2016 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:33:11

Hi Emily - we're also thinking of moving to Frome this year, priced out of Bath with our first little one on the way! How did you get on? Louise smile

Emilyskinner Sat 21-Nov-15 10:56:29

Hi
I'm bumping this message as thinking of moving to frome with partner and toddler.
Has anyone got any advice on...
Nursery, primary schools, stuff for kids
Good places to live/ anywhere to avoid
General info, is there enough going on in the town for adults and families? What are the roads like? Is there a swimming pool? Are there tennis courts and (an affordable) club? Cinema?

Thanks so much! Any advice is much appreciated.
Em

beebusy Mon 29-Dec-14 01:36:37

Great thread. We are planning a move to frome in February. Our dd is 7. Would love to hear thoughts on schools including middle schools. Also Steiner sounds great, but I gather it's over subscribed .
Any advice on great areas /streets to buy in including any to avoid!
Any websites to find property apart from rightmove.co.uk and zoopla.co.uk?
Thanks!!!

Lilybet77 Tue 03-Jun-14 00:14:09

Mells has a playgroup (who meet on a Thursday). Mells also has its own nursery - Mells Nursery which is fabulous. About 2 miles outside of Frome and with a fantastic school Mells First School adjacent.

LucyMF Fri 21-Mar-14 11:33:31

Trinity has a good reputation and Frome Community College has recently been graded Good by Ofsted. It has a new head and it's been pretty (very) dire for many years (according to my husband as I'm not from around here either!) but it's undergone a huge turnaround and was only 2 points under an outstanding status. So, hopefully they'll manage to keep that up by the time my two (5 and 3) go to a secondary school!

fromeah Wed 26-Feb-14 18:23:52

Look at Writhlington - just on the Frome side of Midsomer Norton, and quite a few Frome kids go there. Also, if you are Catholic, St Augustines in Trowbridge is the local secondary and v well thought of.

BoysMumma Sun 16-Feb-14 20:12:44

We are also looking at Frome!! I have heard the secondary schools aren't great though.....is this true? Any really good secondary schools nearby? Thank you!!

Cheltnanny Fri 08-Feb-13 15:08:51

yes we have middle schools..

middle schools are for yr5 yr6 yr7 and yr 8 :-)

Pandera Wed 06-Feb-13 19:54:00

Seems like Frome is the place to be! We are considering moving there, we have 3 DC of school age and I'm wondering what the schools are like? I've heard they have a different system which includes middle schools? Thanks!

Linlinlin Sun 27-Jan-13 20:09:42

I can recommend butterfly pre school it's brill and open in holidays x

ThermalKaty Sat 26-Jan-13 11:24:33

I had trouble finding good long term nursery provision when I was working full time & had to resort to a mish mash of childcare. I hope its easier now but my daughter is older & I juggle with working from home. School holiday clubs are short & rare. But as a place to live it is the best!

Linlinlin Fri 25-Jan-13 20:00:30

Hiya I moved to frome last August and my little one goes to play group. Looking for some friends here smile

framboisine Tue 23-Oct-12 14:44:29

We have lived in frome since a month before my first daughter was born. She is now six and we have two more daughters aged nearly 4 and just 1. There is loads going on for families - it is such a family oriented place with an arty, creative vibe. My daughter is at Trinity school which is really excellent and the middle one is at Sunflower Montessori nursery - also great. We do Trinity Toddlers and I am about to start a parent and toddler French session which I am hoping will be very welcoming and an opportunity to meet new people as well as learning something completely new.

Good luck - it really is a great place to live.

Clarko1 Thu 18-Oct-12 08:30:11

Hello
I am new to the site but really after some advice on school and colleges as we are thinking of moving to frome. My daughter is 11 at secondary and my son is 16 so at college. Also surrounding villages can I have some advice please, thank you.

iluvkids Thu 02-Aug-12 18:20:14

Thingiebob - have sent you a message smile

Thingiebob Tue 24-Jul-12 14:17:10

Hello
Am refreshing this thread as I've now moved here and am attempting to find a nursery and friends! Any tips?

iluvkids Tue 17-Jul-12 21:17:39

Rainbow nursery on Portway, Frome, is great.

wendybird77 Wed 20-Jun-12 17:06:28

Hi -

We are considering a move to Frome as well. Finding we are priced out of Bath and looking for somewhere near good schools (have a 3 year old and 1 year old). I know nothing of the area, so any tips of where to look / avoid would be greatly appreciated from those already there!

Ta!

jjwestwiltshire Mon 18-Jun-12 14:23:40

Hi all

I run the local Jo Jingles (Music & Movement) for children aged 3 months to 5 years and would love for you all to come along to my classes on a Friday. I offer free sessions for all children under 6 months and also offer free trial sessions and sibling discount rates. If you would like to come along to a class I run them at Frome Scout Hut at Welshmill Lane:
9:45am - Over 2's
10:40am Walking - 2's
11:35am - Babies to walking
You can email me at jjwestwiltshire@gmail.com or for further information or visit my website www.jojingles.com/westwiltshire

I hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks
Hayley

KMinty Mon 23-Apr-12 15:56:23

I'm also a new mum to Frome, emmakins, we moved in on 30 March from London and am also feeling a little homesick. I have a 3 1/2 year old boy and a 1 1/2 year old girl, and am expecting 3rd in October. Just when I was on top of all the groups we upped sticks and came here! Can we just turn up at the Key Centre? I'd love to hear from other mums too! It's all a little overwhelming... :-)

kellestar Wed 04-Apr-12 19:39:40

The library do a sing and rhyme time on Friday's at 11am. I popped in to go through the knitting books and unbeknownst to me, timed it perfectly to join in. It's for the toddlers more so, but they have a session for babies on Tuesdays at 11am.

emmakins Fri 30-Mar-12 16:53:09

Hi, I am a new mum to Frome too having moved from London, and a little homesick at the moment grin( ....(we moved here 6 weeks ago). I have a 4 year old (not yet in school), an 8 year old and a 12 year old. Can I bring my 4 year old to trinity toddlers or is he a little too big? Would love to hear from other mum's in the area, new to Frome or otherwise. :-) xx

St johns is a very good primary, would also recommend trinity. As nurseries go...theres Tall trees in oldford which is highly recomended, Butterflies, The key centre, and The garden nursery are other good ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now