Relocation to aberdeen

(4 Posts)
jmil Mon 22-May-17 23:14:55

Hi

I am going to relocate with my husband and 4 girls to Aberdeen. Not sure where we are going to live but it will be dictated by schools. Where are the best secondary school in Aberdeenshire, and where are the best areas to live that have a great community feel

thanks Jeanine

OatcakeCravings Tue 23-May-17 18:40:18

You will have to narrow it down somewhat. Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire is a vast area. Do you want to live in the city, a village or rurally? Where will your husband be working? Are you looking to buy if so what is your budget? Houses in the Aberdeen area can be found via ASPC - Aberdeen Solicitors Property Centre.

MommyVan Tue 23-May-17 20:23:12

Some of the best secondary schools are Aberdeen Grammar (city centre and not agrammar school in the English sense!), Cults (in suburb of same name, would prob have the community vibe you want) and Banchory (in town of same name again community feel).

If you look at Aberdeen City Council website you can get catchment area for a Grammar and Cults; assume Aberdeenshire Council website can help you with Banchory.

It's a lovely area to live. We are in the city so lots on our doorstep and just a short drive to beaches and the hills!

drquin Tue 23-May-17 20:36:53

Whilst schools are important, I'd suggest your area is also driven by any work commute. Although the long-promised bypass is taking shape, you may want to consider whether you want to be north / south / west of the city for work purposes. And then what kind of commute you want ..... length & type. Public transport is not brilliant, so I'd work on taking the car for now.

However, if you follow the route of the new road round the city, you'll find the main commuting towns - Ellon, Inverurie, Oldmeldrum, Banchory, Stonehaven. All have secondary schools in town. Surrounding villages will be the catchment areas for each. I live near one of these ..... but I think they've all got a decent sense of community. To be honest, the folk who think they don't tend to be those who don't make the effort to participate.

Further out from these towns, the commute gets a bit longer, but you'd probably be more rural / smaller villages. Some of which, in Deeside & Donside areas, are beautiful .... but maybe too small a community. Depends on what you like.

PM me if you want!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now