Talk

Advanced search

Where on earth do we move to in Bath!?

(21 Posts)
Thandeka Mon 05-Jul-10 08:47:29

DH just got a job in Bath. We are moving from london to Somerset in August to stay with family while we look for a place to buy.

We want to be Southern Bath so we can get back to see family easily. We have a 5month old DD but wouldn't want to move again for primary schools so near goodish ones (I know a lot can change in 5 years re. schools so not that worried!).

Any suggestions for nice family type places? Have read oldfield park is a bit studenty, Twerton is a bit rough and Bear flat is probably a good bet for families but is this right?

sarah293 Mon 05-Jul-10 08:48:28

Message withdrawn

Thandeka Mon 05-Jul-10 08:56:58

Yeah thats what we figured. Is Bear Flat studenty?

docket Mon 05-Jul-10 20:55:58

Hi Thandeka

I don't think Bear Flat is particularly studenty (I hope not anyway, we are moving there next month!). I think some parts of Oldfield Park are though.

Thandeka Tue 06-Jul-10 07:37:48

Yay we are thinking Bear Flat too- going to start looking in August.

Good luck with the move Docket! Do you have DC's? and what ages? Am starting to research baby groups and whatnot I can join as I know literally no-one in Bath and need to make friends!

traceybath Tue 06-Jul-10 07:39:52

Bear Flat (Poet's Corner) and Combe Down are nice and near good primary schools.

Lots of good baby/toddler stuff in bath smile

MrsFlittersnoop Tue 06-Jul-10 14:42:52

We are 1/2 a mile from Bear Flat! It is not studenty - too far from the direct Uni bus service (and too expensive!) Definately a good area for families and only 10 minutes walk into town - not much fun pushing a buggy back up the hill though. hmm

Oldfield Park is MUCH cheaper and has a good local shopping area, good schools and lots of buses. It is rather studenty, but they are a pretty well-behaved bunch AFAIK.

Hate to generalise, but South Bath areas to avoid include Twerton, Southdown and parts of Odd Down.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 06-Jul-10 14:50:12

Traffic in Bath can be dreadful, so I can see why you're looking at the south of the city. But Bath really is v.small as cities go, so I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker.

shcsmum Tue 06-Jul-10 21:07:12

Can anyone tell me whether Bradford-on-Avon is family-friendly? We're considering moving there from London, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount for littluns (and their tired mothers...) to get up to!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 07-Jul-10 10:24:24

BoA is very close to Bath, so you could take advantage of the various groups here. There's also a small pool - which might not be amazing but is nicer than the municipal pool in Bath (in fact a lot of parents from Bath go there rather than the Bath pool).

I get the impression that there are a lot of young families in BoA and imagine that there's plenty to do. The one place I have heard of (went to a wonderful fete they ran one year) is here. It's probably about 10 minutes away (if that) by car.

Have a look on Wilts council's website for the Family Info Service, too.

docket Wed 07-Jul-10 20:44:36

Thanks Thandeka. I have 3 DCs, they are 5, 4 and 7 months. Just found out today though that ds1 (who needs a Y1 school place) has not got into the same school as DD so I am feeling rather woeful... Hopefully it'll work out. Keep in touch Thandeka, we might be neighbours soon! How old are your DC?

archieballerina Wed 07-Jul-10 21:02:09

I would keep your options open on where to live. Bath is so small you can get across it quickly the main pain is parking so if you can find a property with parking that's a bonus. The not so great areas are pretty obvious when you see them. Oldfield Park is studently but Moorland Road is great for local shopping, near the hospital has Chelsea Road, Larkhall good local community, Bathampton good Ofsted rated primary as does Bathwick and Camden. Bath is also heaving with children's groups/ activities/parks. I love Bath.

Thandeka Mon 12-Jul-10 10:56:21

Yikes docket that sounds really stupid not to have DC's at same school- idiot LEA's. Are the schools far apart?

Only have one DD who is 5months but planning for a brood!- how do you find having 3?

Thanks for the advice archieballerina- am so excited now and can't wait to move!

docket Wed 14-Jul-10 20:42:29

Yes, the schools are far apart, ds1 isn't going to go to the one he got, we are going to home school I think until he gets a place at dd's or another nearer school. Not ideal but hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Am hideously tired but I love having 3. Won't be having any more though!

Have you got any further deciding where you in Bath you should move?

Zazacat Fri 16-Jul-10 17:12:54

Bear Flat has a lovely little pre-school which people don't seem to hear about. My DD2 has had 2 really happy years there. There's also a good NCT group.

My sister is in Newbridge, which has a great school, and there's also a good NCT group, and various other groups going on. And Chelsea Road as mentioned.

Have you appealed Docket?! LEAs can be ridiculous. Had a friend in same situation but she has now got both kids in school she wanted.

docket Wed 21-Jul-10 18:18:33

No need to appeal Zazacat, just found out ds1 got into dd's school after all. Hurrah! Do you live in Bear Flat then? Fancy a coffee in August?!

jensleo Mon 26-Jul-10 22:28:15

Also - the local primary school in Combe Down which for so long has been a very very good school, has just had a terrible ofstead report and was very close to falling into the special measures category.

Oldfield Park used to be a lovely place to live but is over run with students now and is not the nice place it once was - parking is awful as well.

Thandeka Mon 09-Aug-10 13:12:17

Hurrah Docket!

Right- we are moving to Somerset next friday and from then on I shall be in Bath a couple of days a week house hunting until we find somewhere. Anyone fancy showing me around?

docket Tue 10-Aug-10 11:01:40

I'll be moving to Bear Flat on the 25th. I'll be a bit hectic for that and the following week but will be around after that, you'd be more than welcome to come by for a sit down and a coffee in between your house searching!

Thandeka Tue 10-Aug-10 12:39:50

Groovy biscuits! See you sometime in September then!

My email is thandekatotango at hotmail dot com.

Likeapeacefullife Fri 19-Jan-18 18:17:33

Want a nice life? Don't move to social housing in Farmborough. Some families think they 'own' the place.Jealous types. Locals couldn't care less about newcomers. Got sensitive kids? forget it. They'll get bullied. School not interested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: