Talk

Advanced search

Builders

(16 Posts)
Beasknees Fri 25-Jun-10 21:33:58

Anyone know any reliable builders who'd be able to do some sort of glass extension to my basement, fit a kitchen and install an understairs wc? I'm in Fiveways if that makes a difference.

flossie75 Tue 29-Jun-10 19:18:35

We've had builders start with us today - they've seemed really good in all our dealings so far and I've come home to good progress and everything left tidy.

So far they've done everything when they said they would from giving a quote to dropping off trade brochures.

They're called AMCO and are on Checkatrade. So far I'd definitely recommend them, although we've 12 weeks of work to go yet!

creequealley Tue 10-Aug-10 16:57:16

Any others?

2shoes Mon 16-Aug-10 19:53:11

you need Noddyholder she is good with this stuff

creequealley Sat 21-Aug-10 10:33:00

calling Noddy

uggbugg Sun 28-Nov-10 23:14:57

I have the most amazing builder!!!

He is from Yorkshire and is breaking into the London Market. He 'ships the guys down' from up north and he really is an honest and genuine bloke. His prices are very competitive compared to all else I have had quoted in London and more than anything, he is just a really decent likable guy.

I suspect once he gets established his prices will go up, so I would 'strike while the iron is hot'.

Is is very 'Yorkshire' and is a ginger!! but could absolutely charm the birds out of the trees and has been such fun to work with!!

It references are amazing and you will love him......

Devonlover Thu 02-Dec-10 18:59:58

Does anyone else have any ideas? We're renovating (well, trying) our house and could do with getting a quote for some building work.

iceandlemon Thu 02-Dec-10 21:04:53

We had a very good builder who did our bathroom and utility room earlier this year. When (if!) we have the money we will be using him again to do our kitchen. I don't think he advertises but I can PM you his number if you like?

Devonlover Fri 03-Dec-10 11:05:42

Yes please, that'd be great. At the moment, I'm pulling random names out of yellow pages. email is emma_marting@yahoo.co.uk.
Thx!

rockinhippy Sat 04-Dec-10 23:18:35

I'd be interested in the details too please iceandlemon we need our bathroom doing badly & its holding up the rest of the work & seems we're getting fobbed of, so expecting we've been let down yet again - thats the 5th one agreed to do the job & then not bothered hmm

How as AMCO in the end Beasknees ??

MuesliMountaineer Tue 07-Dec-10 17:14:27

Hi there my advice would be to get onto www.mybuilder.com - you can ask for quotes there and review peoples feedback. It's one of the best discovery I've ever made!

Good luck

rachelstephens Fri 10-Dec-10 21:48:41

i can recommend the guy we used to renovate our house including a fantastic loft conversion. if you want his number email me at rachelcbaker@yahoo.co.uk

he is really reasonable as well and the guys he works with were all very good too. he is local to the area so knows all the good places to get stuff

donttrythisathome Sat 11-Dec-10 11:41:47

I'm not sure if this is against MN rules but my DH is a carpenter/house renovater and is really good. The price he quotes is the price you will pay, unlike most builders who quote low to get the work and then bump up the price. here

rockinhippy Mon 13-Dec-10 10:58:44

Thank you all of you, I will look into those

Linsyloo Wed 29-Dec-10 23:53:13

Hi Flossie 75. How did your building work go with AMCO? I am looking to have a loft extension and rejig my flat layout and have come across this building firm on council approved traders list. Were you happy with them? Their credentials look good. Does anyone else have any good recommendations through personal experience. Thanks

Beasknees Tue 04-Jan-11 21:23:04

Actually i used a firm called EastWest Refurbishment - i can supply details. They are recommended on the council's website of reliable builders - not sure if that's the check a trade one. They were good, efficient - i should have had a better list of the things i wanted done as we ended up needing a few extra jobs done over and above the quote. Some friends also recommended Wooden it be Nice who did a loft conversion as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now